Rosh Hashanah

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Rosh Hashanah

Postby Pepper Pig » September 25th, 2019, 9:45 am

One of my Jewish friends reminded me this morning that Jewish New Year starts on Friday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosh_Hashanah

Although Gillian keeps a kosher house she eats normally in restaurants, justifying it by saying she is a non-believer. She reminded me this morning that she would never cook lasagne as the Jews do not mix milk and meat. I hadn't thought of lasagne but I do find Jewish/kosher cookery interesting. I don't know who here is Jewish but does anyone regularly prepare meals for kosher diets? It looks to be quite hard.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Rosh Hashanah

Postby StokeySue » September 25th, 2019, 10:39 am

It's not just following the rules, it's needing to have a kitchen that's full time kosher to do it properly and needing to buy specific kosher products, prepared in accordance with the rules - including kosher meats.. Though the local ultra orthodox community seem quite happy with the fish counter at Morrison's

I remember a Jewish girl at uni keeping a separate set of pans, in order not to have to use utensils that had been used for non-kosher foods

I could follow the rules I think, though the absence of butter and cheese would be limiting to me.. Not to mention cream

Someone pointed out to me that the reason for all the cream cakes is that if you can't have diary desserts in the same meal as the meat & veg, you just make a separate meal out of them!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 25th, 2019, 10:43 am

Gillian buys her fish at Costco, but our local Costco is in Bushey which has a high Jewish population. Re the kitchen I am reminded that she has two sinks for food prep. It’s a good job I’m not Jewish, I wouldn’t have room.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 25th, 2019, 12:43 pm

The woman's editor of one of the papers I used to write for was Jewish and kept a strict kosher kitchen. She took me to synagogue several times for ladies lunches and to watch cookery dems including Claudia Roden.

She always said to me that If I wanted to invite a Jewish person they would accept if I promised to make it a vegetarian meal.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 25th, 2019, 3:03 pm

My friend Gillian wouldn’t buy that one. She is always complaining about her cooking being restricted because she has a vegetarian daughter!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby wargarden » September 25th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Pepper Pig you might want tell you friend she got her dates wrong since the holiday start Sunday night not Friday.
wargarden
Registered

Postby wargarden » September 25th, 2019, 3:20 pm

there mushroom and vegetarian lasagna. you can avoid mixing milk and meat that way.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 25th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Wargarden.
wargarden wrote:Pepper Pig you might want tell you friend she got her dates wrong since the holiday start Sunday night not Friday.

I wouldn’t be so presumptious or rude wargarden. If that’s when she tells me her family’s rituals begin then I will go with that.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 25th, 2019, 3:55 pm

wargarden wrote:there mushroom and vegetarian lasagna. you can avoid mixing milk and meat that way.

And I am not stupid thank you.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 25th, 2019, 5:03 pm

I have seen TV programmes about the preparation of food in Jewish households. I imagine if you are brought up with it it doesn't seem difficult. I seem to remember non-Kosher kitchens being almost wrapped floor to ceiling in tin foil so that the food would not touch the non-Kosher worktops. Certainly easier if you have space to keep the two areas separate, I agree that in some of today's tiny houses it must be difficult to set up the kitchen properly.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 25th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Many Jewish households round here have two kitchens, not kosher and non-kosher (tref) as the whole house is 100% kosher food only but one for milk and one for meat so they are kept totally separate

I suspect the foil masking is for Passover, as you need to follow extra rules and be extra precise, and shouldn’t use everyday utensils. In fact a lot of people use mainly disposables at Passover, and some have a separate china service for that festival
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 26th, 2019, 10:43 am

I used to babysit for a young Jewish family who had a large volume of Jewish (cooking?) rituals (if you can call them that) on their book-case. I am fascinated by other religion's food rules, so spent many a happy hour reading this.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 26th, 2019, 10:55 am

I think the programme I saw may have been about Passover and the problems that outside catering and non Kosher halls presented. They certainly got round them all, I was more shocked by the amount of foil used than anything even though I appreciate that rules must be observed! I feel guilty about the earth's resources every time I use a small piece.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » September 26th, 2019, 11:02 am

as long as the aluminium foil goes to recycling it's not so bad ( still better than using cling film). recycling aluminium uses a 25th of the energy than producing it from scratch.
i often put larger pieces of foil through the dishwasher if they're intact.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 27th, 2019, 9:48 am

I always reuse foil and then recycle it but the recycling people don't like it sent with food on it - I hope that such large amounts weren't sent to landfill. Anything like glass or foil recycled has still been taken from the planet's unrenewable resources originally which is something not highlighted much in the current recycling campaigns, at least recycling helps.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 27th, 2019, 10:45 am

Our biggest local industry in Harrow for years was Kodak and they had been here for ages. Whenever you went into any of their buildings (which included a theatre) there were charity bins for foil and milk bottle tops for Guide Dogs for the Blind. (Or Blind Dogs for the Guides as my dad used to call them). I wonder how that worked then? I am going back to the early seventies.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 27th, 2019, 11:26 am

All through my childhood we saved foil things 'for the blind dogs' (I think we all knew that the dogs weren't blind :lol:). I suppose it was recycled even back then like most scrap metal and it was done throughout the country so there must have been quite a lot. Until recently you could donate plastic milk bottle lids for charities but I don't think it is lucrative/simple any more and many stopped. They were still collecting them for the Berks Air Ambulancec when I left work even though their website said they were no longer taking them. Now this plastic thing has rocketed it must be complex to be able to make money from plastic collected for ethical recycling.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 27th, 2019, 12:36 pm

I’m sure that the annual Blue Peter appeal was milk bottle tops for guide dogs for many years.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 1st, 2019, 2:35 pm

I seem to recall seeing a TV programme about the Jewish population in Manchester.
One lady insisted that to properly observe the food procedures, two dishwashers were necessary.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 1st, 2019, 3:26 pm

What we should have eaten, according to the Jewish input to my Twitter feed, was tsimmes (or tzimmes), there are two versions, a meat (brisket) stew with carrots, and a vegetable side dish of carrots, both sweetened with honey to lead to a sweet year to come

I've had the side dish, the combination of honey and cinnamon on a savoury plate does not appeal to me, but it's instant nostalgia for many Jewish acquaintances.. Note that if made with oil it can be served with either a meat or a dairy meal but a lot of people I know do use butter, which obviously makes it dairy
https://www.chabad.org/recipes/recipe_cdo/aid/2635032/jewish/Traditional-Rosh-Hashanah-Tzimmes.htm

Actually that site has a good round up of Rosh Hashanah recipes It's American, hence the emphasis on sweet potatoes, I quite fancy the instant pot tamarind brisket
https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/420700/jewish/Recipes.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8svsBRDqARIsAHKVyqF5kXq5vYy5Vk7riuEO-izrrdXxf714JQXy6vyxU2l4ItbLEeQ9mtgaAq7oEALw_wcB
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen