ww2 and ration recipe leaflets and calendars

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

ww2 and ration recipe leaflets and calendars

Postby wargarden » September 25th, 2019, 4:05 pm

hey i know some of you might have old recipe leaflets and cookery calendar from the uk ration period.
I like get copies of ones i do not have or trade for the ones i have multiple copies of.
wargarden
Registered

Re: ww2 and ration recipe leaflets and calendars

Postby Pepper Pig » September 25th, 2019, 4:22 pm

I’m not that old. But I think most recipes are well documented.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 25th, 2019, 5:05 pm

DD has everything like that which I inherited.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » September 25th, 2019, 9:21 pm

I think it'd be sensible to hold on to the ones folk have as they may be needed again sooner or later. ;)

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby wargarden » September 26th, 2019, 1:07 am

northleedsbhoy you have not gotten your ration book yet, you only have month left.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 26th, 2019, 9:42 am

Even my 91 year old mother is too old to have WWII food related things. I imagine her mother's stuff would have been cleared out back in '65 when she died. Her mother was neither a good nor a keen cook, apparently.

But I do have a book or two with the ration recipes, bought while researching the food book I worked on. Modern books, though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » September 26th, 2019, 10:19 am

wargarden wrote:hey i know some of you might have old recipe leaflets and cookery calendar from the uk ration period.
I like get copies of ones i do not have or trade for the ones i have multiple copies of.

i think you are fishing in a dry puddle!

if any of us actually had some they would probably keep them. people on a food forum are likely to have an interest in them already, either for the recipe itself or the fact that they may be family archive material - i know that would be the case for me.
i would have thought most people, understandably, were keen to put the need for rationing behind them and would have had a ritual burning of anything to remind them of it.
i have a cookbook given to my mother when she married, shortly before rationing ended but i haven't really checked the recipes.
i imagine it would have been written for a future with no rationing.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 26th, 2019, 10:43 am

My parents were married in 1948. My mother had the Good Housekeeping cookery book of the day which, because rationing was still in place, had many recipes for 'mock' things alongside the real thing. Also recipes to eke out meat and veg. I was still using many of the more frugal recipes when I married in the 1970's before giving the book to DD later.

There is a lot of information online about wartime rations and recipes. You have to remember too that each family's experience was slightly different. Some would have had access to veg they had grown, some might keep a chicken or two and thus have eggs, some rural people would have had animals that could be milked and could shoot wild rabbit and birds and some not. Everyone who remembers that period (usually as children these days) has a tale to tell. One of the saddest I was told was from a woman brought up in the east end of London where treats were scarce. They received a parcel of dried fruit from a relative overseas and there was huge excitement as her mother made a fruit cake. However, the bowl slipped and shattered on the floor with the mixture into tiny pieces. It would not have been safe to try to use the mixture, they were devastated!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 26th, 2019, 11:05 am

I remember ration books, and being sent to the village shops with them, when fragments were cut from the page as items were bought. I well remember the easing of rationing, when certain items were "on" or "off points" - as a child, I was mostly interested in which sweets were off points. I also remember pepper being sold "loose", by the ounce or perhaps less - I can't be specific now, but I do remember it being put into the little conical paper bags that sweets came in.
It's easy to romanticise the past, and it has been said that the nation's diet was at its best during the days of rationing - my mother spent her younger years in service, and knew what was what in the kitchen - I cannot imagine what it would have been like for housewives without that discipline. No - there was nothing romantic about it.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 26th, 2019, 11:45 am

My mother keeps saying she thinks she was rather malnourished during the war. She had an older brother and an older sister, and they lived in Blackburn terrace house, so no garden to speak of and no homegrown produce to suppliment rations. She says her brother always got the lion's share. He had permanent hunger issues, as I believe boys do...?! Mind you all of the siblings were short. Probabaly genes as much a nutrition, though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 26th, 2019, 1:16 pm

My parents were born six weeks apart, Mum in the east end of London and Dad in rural North Yorkshire. Mum can remember real rationing and making do, to Dad it was the years of plenty as he got a sweets ration. He didn’t go without anything, born on a farm there was always meat, milk, eggs and veg, admittedly the meat was often wild rabbit but it was still meat.

Dad can still recite his mother’s shopping list, I know it’s last two items were sweets and papers. My parents were fortunate both their fathers were in reserved professions, one a farmer and the other a railway engineer - keeping the country fed and troops moving around. Mums sister was evacuated but mum was too young to go, she just remembers the blitz.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 26th, 2019, 2:17 pm

My parents were married in 1939 - actually on the day WW2 was declared. I still have my last ration book and found my mum's when I cleared her house. I also have lots of leaflets issued during the period of rationing but I only kept one copy of each. I have or rather Mr R, who is very much the family archivist has such things filed as well as all the dig for victory pamphlets coll which my grandfather and uncle collected, both being keen gardners. My grandmother kept hens and ducks in the backyard of her NE terrace house - i now know illegally :lol:

I am really not a collector so would have no interest in receiving more. Neither have I the desire to spend time scanning those leaflets I have because a)there are lots of places where such things are available b) i have more interesting ways of spending my time and finally b) I haven't a clue how to work the scanner! Not me just being difficult.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 26th, 2019, 5:02 pm

It seems hard to believe, but I've just discovered that tea was rationed until October 1952.
Gruney
Registered

Postby wargarden » September 29th, 2019, 6:26 pm

to bad you can't just send photo copy of the leaflets since you not up to scanning
wargarden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 29th, 2019, 7:04 pm

wargarden wrote:to bad you can't just send photo copy of the leaflets since you not up to scanning

How about a bit of respect for your elders and betters wargarden? As Rats says all this kind of stuff is available online.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby wargarden » September 29th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Pepper Pig respect is earned,
wargarden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 29th, 2019, 8:01 pm

And you don’t think Ratatouille has earned it???
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby wargarden » September 29th, 2019, 8:11 pm

given his statement about the info in question is all online. is incorrect, If the info and leaflets were all online i would not have need to ask
the question in my first post in this thread. I would have just type the name type of pamphlet and leaflet on google
Last edited by wargarden on September 29th, 2019, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wargarden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 29th, 2019, 8:38 pm

It is everyone's perogative to decide how much they want to share on a message board and nice if other users respect this. It doesn't look as though anyone here is able to supply what you asked for. Why not try a history message board? It's amazing what they come up with.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 29th, 2019, 9:31 pm

wargarden wrote:given his statement about the info in question is all online. is incorrect, If the info and leaflets were all online i would not have need to ask
the question in my first post in this thread. I would have just type the name type of pamphlet and leaflet.

Just because you want something that doesn’t mean that we have to give you anything we may have. We may choose not to share them ... you may just have to get used to that and move on ... without being rude and unpleasant.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 29th, 2019, 9:57 pm

i'm not sure he realises that he's coming across as rude.
if you add up all the clues you could guess at the picture?

ps. i went to a school that taught that just because someone was older it didn't mean that they were better - and that respect had to be earned. the donald is older than me ...
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 30th, 2019, 4:26 am

scullion wrote:ps. i went to a school that taught that just because someone was older it didn't mean that they were better - and that respect had to be earned. the donald is older than me ...

If Ratatouille who he was attacking hasn't earned respect here then I don't know who has.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 30th, 2019, 6:49 am

I have sent a moderators PM to Wargarden, so could you all please stop berating him here, or I will close the thread.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » September 30th, 2019, 7:46 am

I had no intention of berating Wargarden ... if he feels ‘berated’ I apologise ... I just tried to explain very simply and directly why he may not be getting the responses he wished for ... some folk are better with simple and plain speaking rather than more nuanced social interaction.
:)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 30th, 2019, 9:51 am

suffolk wrote:I had no intention of berating Wargarden ... if he feels ‘berated’ I apologise ... I just tried to explain very simply and directly why he may not be getting the responses he wished for ... some folk are better with simple and plain speaking rather than more nuanced social interaction.
:)

I realise not everyone is 'berating', and it was partly a pre-emptive strike to stop things getting worse. :)

Wargarden has been warned!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Return to The Kitchen