Clever Use of Assorted Leftover Juices

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Clever Use of Assorted Leftover Juices

Postby earthmaiden » September 26th, 2019, 10:13 am

I am really posting to ask if anyone has any really good ideas for using the lovely sweet, oniony mildly vinegary juice left when one has eaten a tub of dill marinated herrings but thinking about it, there may be other such leftovers worth discussion. Who'd have thought you could make meringues from the juice of a tin of beans for example!

The herring juice is awaiting ideas - I could happily just drink it!
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Clever Use of Assorted Leftover Juices

Postby scullion » September 26th, 2019, 10:32 am

i use the brine from jars of olives in many dishes i cook (before i add any salt) if water is needed. i also like drinking the sweet, vinegary dill water from jars of pickled cucumbers.
scullion
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 26th, 2019, 10:45 am

Part of a salad dressing, although it might be too fishy, unless there was fish in the salad.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 26th, 2019, 10:49 am

earthmaiden wrote:I am really posting to ask if anyone has any really good ideas for using the lovely sweet, oniony mildly vinegary juice left when one has eaten a tub of dill marinated herrings but thinking about it, there may be other such leftovers worth discussion. Who'd have thought you could make meringues from the juice of a tin of beans for example!

The herring juice is awaiting ideas - I could happily just drink it!

I often wonder the same and end up drinking it … sometimes I use it (and the onion etc) in a fish dish that needs a sauce
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » September 26th, 2019, 10:51 am

i imagine that the herring juice could be used in a paella of some sort. the taste of paella is lifted with the use of lemon juice so maybe the vinegar could act in the same way?
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 26th, 2019, 10:59 am

On the same theme, I found a (hm) jar of sweet, spicy pickled pears in my larder the other day … well there was only 2 pears left, but the sweet, spicy syrup was delicious, I had a job restraining myself.

I had no idea what recipe I had previously used, but googled and found a Delia spicy pear recipe that listed very similar ingredients. I had some apples that had gone a bit soft, so thought I would make up some more syrup and make spicy apples (rather than pears) … now I don't know what to do with the end result - apart from sampling every time I see the jar in the larder ;) :rolleyes: :chops:

I had thought of using it to make a sweet chutney of some kind - add dried fruit, green tomatoes :?:

Ideas on a postcard please.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby wargarden » September 26th, 2019, 2:45 pm

you can add a thickener and use it a syrup or drizzle
wargarden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 26th, 2019, 2:54 pm

wargarden wrote:you can add a thickener and use it a syrup or drizzle

And you can teach your grandmother to suck eggs.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 26th, 2019, 3:19 pm

I love this idea for a thread. So many things get drained away that we probably never think to use instead. I always re-use vinegar from pickled onions in a shaker bottle especially for when I have chips. That really dark vinegar is best for this. :chops:

I still have to get round to the chick pea water thing!

Anything canned in oil I would feel like a criminal discarding the oil after draining, but as already said, only usually applies to fish and would only work in a salad dressing where the fish was consumed.

I will definitely use brine in future as I always discard that!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 26th, 2019, 5:37 pm

wargarden wrote:you can add a thickener and use it a syrup or drizzle

I wouldn't add a thickener to a sugar syrup, I would boil it down (as advised in the recipe) to thicken … That wasn't my question though.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 26th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Are the spices the type you might have with a sweet dish Pat? If so, just served with something like vanilla infused mascarpone and some of the juice might be nice. If savoury, I suppose you have it with cold meats - and have more juice to use up (a glaze for pork or ham?).

Yes, the herring juice would work well in salad dressing or rice dishes.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » September 26th, 2019, 10:37 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Anything canned in oil I would feel like a criminal discarding the oil after draining, but as already said, only usually applies to fish and would only work in a salad dressing where the fish was consumed.

i reuse the oil from jarred things. the oil from sun dried tomatoes is especially good when making pasta sauce etc.
in the same sort of vein, i once made mayonnaise (for dipping chips in) with some oil previously used to fry chips. it was some of the best mayo i'd made - brilliant for the chips.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 27th, 2019, 8:40 am

Yes I always use the oil from anything like sun blush tomatoes or artichoke hearts in oil or the brine from olives usually in salads but also in veg dishes
Pickled cucumbers or gherkins I’ll use a splash of the brine to loosen and flavour the dressing if I’m chopping some into salad, but it doesn’t have a lot of flavour apart from vinegar so I throw out most of it
The juice from things like roll mops is unfortunately fishy so only really goes into the accompanying potato or beetroot salad, and I wouldn’t like to keep it long
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 27th, 2019, 8:53 am

I did add the apples, cooked them in the syrup, then strained them out, reduced to thicken the syrup, added the apples back and a couple of handfuls of dried fruit. The result is a taste not dis-similar to mincemeat, but with a vinegary taste too. I absolutely love it and keep sampling it ;) It goes well with goats cheese and I think other cheeses too perhaps.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 27th, 2019, 9:38 am

Sounds lovely!

Last night I came in late but had wanted to use up some 'pointed' cabbage. I put some of it in a pan with some courgettes and a little oil. Being impatient I added some water after a while and was in grave danger of having boiled cabbage and courgette which is never great. I added a few fennel seeds and some of the herring juice (which isn't really very fishy), reduced it until there was only a little juice and the result, perhaps surprisingly, was delicious!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 5th, 2019, 6:55 pm

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-i ... lflowFBDEL

Hoping this link doesn't require Facebook to read. It suggests using pickle juice with a few chopped pickles - to make ice lollies .. :?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » October 6th, 2019, 10:13 am

are these like the prickleback lollies in kavy's thread?
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 6th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Goodness, what a concept! Not sure life isn't too short really.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 7th, 2019, 8:56 am

Scully, I had forgotten those (it was 2012 after all and I thought they sounded vile then!).

Hmmm, whisky and pickle juice as a drink or a lolly ... I suppose so many enthusiasts can't be wrong. Next time I have picked herrings ...... :)

https://www.kaveyeats.com/2012/08/kavey ... llies.html
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » October 7th, 2019, 11:14 am

i think i must have remembered them from using the link in the 'ice lolly' thread from the year before last!
scullion
Registered

Return to The Kitchen