Using wholemeal SR flour ...

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Using wholemeal SR flour ...

Postby suffolk » October 1st, 2019, 2:38 pm

Every so often I buy some wholemeal SR flour to make an apple cake or some such recipe.

The flour then sits in the cupboard for a good while ... I don’t often need to use it ... and the next time I need some for a recipe it’s past it’s Best By date.

Do you have some good recipes using wholemeal SR flour?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Re: Using wholemeal SR flour ...

Postby Suelle » October 1st, 2019, 2:50 pm

I guess wholemeal SR flour may go off in time, as the raising agents degrade. Maybe buy plain w/meal flour next time - I safely ignore BB dates on that - and add your own baking powder.

I make this Apple cake from Nigel Slater, and it's surprisingly light:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... range-cake

You can also use different jams/marmalades and dried fruit eg

pear and ginger:
https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2013/ ... -cake.html

apple and cranberry
https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2014/ ... -cake.html
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » October 1st, 2019, 3:18 pm

Yes ... I think using plain plus baking powder is the way to go ... I use more of the plain cos I sometimes use it for pastry.

Love the sound of the Pear & Ginger cake ... and the pears in the garden are nearly ready ... thanks :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » October 1st, 2019, 3:19 pm

That looks pretty good to me, and the sort of thing that would be very welcome for something I've got in the offing - thanks.

Just a quick point please - when a recipe simply calls for "eggs" - what size does the author usually have in mind? I ask because I have books which preface recipes with such as "where eggs are mentioned, always assume large/medium.

Edited to say I'm not expecting you to be a mind reader, I just wondered if there is a convention.
Last edited by Gruney on October 1st, 2019, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 1st, 2019, 3:28 pm

Gruney wrote:That looks pretty good to me, and the sort of thing that would be very welcome for something I've got in the offing - thanks.

Just a quick point please - when a recipe simply calls for "eggs" - what size does the author usually have in mind? I ask because I have books which preface recipes with such as "where eggs are mentioned, always assume large/medium.

There's no guidance on the subject in Slater's book - I tend to use large for all cake baking, although if you use medium and a cake batter isn't a dropping consistency you can always add a little milk.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Gruney » October 1st, 2019, 3:29 pm

Thanks Sue.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 2nd, 2019, 9:17 am

I use wharever size the hens lay!! I also make cheese scones with whole meal flour although I can's get SR wholemeal.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 2nd, 2019, 9:27 am

If using varied sizes i’d use the ‘weight’ method for sponge cakes. Otherwise I dont worry about it. I’m pretty sure that nowadays the standard sizes aren’t as big as they used to be
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 2nd, 2019, 10:07 am

maybe you were just smaller then (snigger).
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 2nd, 2019, 10:19 am

Don’t think they were regulated before we went to the bizarre numeric system, small medium or large was what they thought they could get away with
Here’s a very irritating* size chart, but accurate, including weights, numeric sizes and current categories. I always assume approx 60g for ease of calculation

https://www.egginfo.co.uk/egg-facts-and-figures/industry-information/egg-sizes

*irritating because of the apparently overlapping ranges with e.g. 63g appearing on 2 rows requiring a footnote. Ranfpges of this type should always be inclusive only, I spent a large part of my working life enforcing this in research practice
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 2nd, 2019, 11:30 am

I missed the numeric period, when was that? :?.

I usually buy 'large' but if I have bought much smaller ones often use two if following a recipe where, unlike a sponge, it doesn't matter too much.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 2nd, 2019, 12:13 pm

I quite often buy random weight free range / organic eggs, hence needing a sanity check of 60g for baking - older recipe books often give 2oz (56.7 g) as a working value

Can’t remember exactly when the size changed happened, but I think many recipe writers ignored the numbers, so you seldom see them in recipes
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 2nd, 2019, 12:26 pm

scullion wrote:maybe you were just smaller then (snigger).

I’m sure I was Scully :rolleyes:

Think that there were sizes before there were numbers ... and I think that sizes came back again in the mid 90s ...

As a farm on the 50s and 60s we sold eggs to the packers SAPPA who were regulated by the Egg Marketing Board. We packed them according to size ... Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large ... on egg trays which fitted into large wooden egg crates ... each crate had a docket saying how many trays of each size it contained. They were collected weekly by the SAPPA lorry ... the driver would hand Ma an envelope with a confirmation of the previous week’s consignment and payment ... I think in cash but I’m not positive on that.

Any eggs that were damaged or less than perfect were held back and either used in the kitchen with or sold at the door to people from the village. The local butcher would sometimes have a batch of small pullers eggs to hard boil and use in pork pies and scotch eggs, or the pub in the next village would have a couple of dozen to pickle.

Whoops! We’ve strayed ... :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 2nd, 2019, 8:35 pm

SR wolemeal flour works well in soda bread, it's mainly what I use it for. This recipe is pretty much my recipe https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/irishsodabread_67445 though I tend to use either milk that has gone sour but not curdy or milk soured with a little lemon juice as I seldom have buttermilk unless it is lurking in the fridge. The recipe also works well as soda scones with 1oz of sugar mixed (if you want them sweetened) with the flour then 2 oz butter rubbed into the flour and either shaped into a round and cut into 4 or 8 or cut into rounds then baked for 12-15 minutes. They make a flattish scone rather a high risen one but lovely with cheese, soups or stews if unsweetened.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 2nd, 2019, 9:09 pm

Thank you LTC ... that’s brilliant :D We love soda bread ... don’t know why that use hadn’t occurred to me ... :? :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 3rd, 2019, 12:36 pm

suffolk wrote:Thank you LTC ... that’s brilliant :D We love soda bread ... don’t know why that use hadn’t occurred to me ... :? :D

:tu:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 3rd, 2019, 12:46 pm

Me too. Must make some, haven't done for yonks- thanks from me as well LTC! :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 3rd, 2019, 12:49 pm

I've not made any in ages either, must rectify that :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 3rd, 2019, 3:36 pm

Hmm ... it’s soup and soda bread time of year :chops:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 3rd, 2019, 3:40 pm

Oooh yes!!! :D :tu:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen