what are you serving for Christmas dinner

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

what are you serving for Christmas dinner

Postby wargarden » October 17th, 2019, 7:18 am

So what are you serving for Christmas dinner?
how many courses and sides?
Are you serving fowl, fish or roast beast?
Just curious what others are planning on serving for the holiday.
wargarden
Registered

Re: what are you serving for Christmas dinner

Postby suffolk » October 17th, 2019, 9:03 am

Far too early to think about C******s!!! :spank:

We've no idea where we'll be over the holiday ... we may be at the in-laws, we may be at my daughter's place, we may be hosting it here in which case it'll be a big rib of local free range rare breed beef with Yorkshire Puddings etc or (if we're lucky ;) ) it may just be the two of us at home, in which case we'll have a whole grilled lobster each, dressed lamb's lettuce and a bottle of Pouilly-Fumé :hungry: :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 17th, 2019, 9:07 am

This is a very tender subject for me. I will be at my housebound mother's, 4-5 hours' drive away. No dining table (but a commode in the room with frequent demands for evacuation from the sitting room byy its user), two other people not interested in food, and keep telling me so, one of whom won't eat more than three spoonfuls in total, a very poorly equiped kitchen with an oven that barely works. I've tried various things over the past three years. Taking something with me, making something simple (in view of kitchen issues), buying something. Nothing is enjoyed so I am not actually planning anything. It's a bit sad, but that's how life is. I imagine my mother will request some sliced cold cuts and roasted parsnips. I will buy a nice dessert or two. There will potentially be a lot of waste, alas.

However I don't think I'd be making plans just yet even if we were having a 'proper' Christmas... Not just for three of us.
Husband and I are vegetarian so nothing needs ordering in in advance, although a little more thought does, perhaps, need to be put into what to do.
If I could, I might go abroad, or at least to our house in France. (Which obviously is abroad, but it's also home.)

Sorry for whiffs of Bah Humbug, but that's not really it... I'd like to do it in style and look forward to rather than dread it.
Last edited by Herbidacious on October 17th, 2019, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 17th, 2019, 9:27 am

I feel so blessed because I am not alone but have few ties. I used to love Christmas and we had the traditional meal of chicken or turkey (never had goose but would like to try it), chipolatas, assorted veg, roast potatoes, bread sauce (a must), stuffing and gravy. Light canapes with drinks, no starter and a lit Christmas pudding for show but something lighter on offer and the pud was eaten on following days. The past few years I have been invited very kindly to spend it with the other side of GDs family and they have opted for beef. I found myself bitterly disappointed, it just wasn't Christmas. Now I do a simple buffet on Boxing day with cold turkey and ham, salads, nibbles - and jacket potatoes which everyone goes mad for. I am opting out of Christmas day where possible through choice.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 17th, 2019, 9:55 am

We hosted Christmas last year and unusually for us we had a turkey ... usually it would be goose or beef ... we're still using up the leftovers ... in fact today's supper is a UFO from the freezer which has revealed itself to be roasted turkey thigh and drumstick, casseroled with vegetables ... I think that's the last of the turkey ....... :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » October 17th, 2019, 9:57 am

Surely in America it’s normal to go all out for Thanksgiving first before thinking about Xmas ?
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby scullion » October 17th, 2019, 10:33 am

it's two and a bit months until chr....as - i haven't even thought what we'll have at the weekend, let alone in two months time.
ask again the week before and there's a possibility i might have given it some thought.
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 17th, 2019, 10:36 am

It will be turkey and all the trimmings here followed by Christmas pudding, eaten at around 5pm. We much prefer eating later and not having all the stress of getting it all on the table for lunchtime. Plus we skip a meal which when you think about the size of the traditional meal is just as well!

I enjoy cooking the meal, and all the prep - I have no idea how many will be in attendance five at least but could be nine or ten depending on my sister and family.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 17th, 2019, 10:52 am

Far too early to think about it. We go to my elder son’s usually. There are around twenty of us so my little house isn’t large enough. He is very thorough with the turkey etc. He could probably feed the whole village however as he tends to over cater. There a couple of vegans in the mix this year which will be interesting.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 17th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Busybee wrote:Plus we skip a meal which when you think about the size of the traditional meal is just as well! BB

I was thinking of this earlier. When I was a child we had our meals at their normal times at Christmas and plates weren't piled high. Lunch was at about 1pm. We had the traditional things but there was room for pudding. We had tea as usual (afternoon tea style) at about 4.30pm when the Christmas cake was cut and supper, which was leftovers, at about 7pm. I did not encounter huge helpings until I met my husband's family. Christmas to me has always been about cooking, we always made our mince pies on Christmas morning and then prepared lunch. It was all washed up in plenty of time for the Queen's speech and then it was games and conversation. I feel bereft if I am not cooking on Christmas morning and find that eating late or in the evening breaks up the time when there were games, conversation or leftovers in front of the fire. I miss that so much it hurts sometimes.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 17th, 2019, 12:04 pm

No idea! We will probably be at home and go to family on Boxing Day.

No traditions really any more. Last year we stayed home until new year. One side of the family was looking after a 2 month old and the other side DiL had just escaped from hospital after her brain op.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Ratatouille » October 17th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Far far too early to even think about it. I will make my puddings and cake on Stir-up Sunday. The main celebration in France is on the 24th.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 17th, 2019, 1:45 pm

[quote="earthmaiden". I miss that so much it hurts sometimes.[/quote]

EM :hug: :hug:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 17th, 2019, 2:35 pm

When my Parents were still alive we went either down to them in Torquay or Deb in Leatherhead. Both places had good butchers, we had either Exmoor lamb or beef. Lots of vegetables but no Christmas pud. I used to make boxes of biscuits to take with me.
Now we go out for Christmas lunch, I miss Turkey & Stuffing sandwiches. :drool:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby scullion » October 17th, 2019, 3:19 pm

so what are you cooking/eating, wargarden?
or is it too early for you to decide, too‽
scullion
Registered

Postby wargarden » October 17th, 2019, 3:39 pm

cyprusmoira turkey stuffing sandwiches reminds me of a hot food vendor at local farmers market she makes a turkey stuffing and cranberry pocket.
also i will be making turkey , stuffing and cranberries popovers for boxing day.
wargarden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 17th, 2019, 3:57 pm

Nice to see someone in the USA not having hot ham.

BB - thanks, I'm sure we all miss aspects of earlier years sometimes. I am quite happy in the present really! x
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby wargarden » October 17th, 2019, 4:36 pm

scullion I having a 7 or 10 course meal. last year I went the 7 fish route.
I may go with braised short rib this year as main . with soup, salad, hors d'oeuvres, as three of other courses.
with different sorbets between courses to cleanse the pallet.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 17th, 2019, 6:50 pm

I struggle to eat anything more than a small starter and a dessert these days...

I don't think I could mange a tasting menu anymore.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 17th, 2019, 6:50 pm

I struggle to eat anything more than a small starter and a dessert these days...

I don't think I could mange a tasting menu anymore.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 17th, 2019, 7:08 pm

wargarden wrote:scullion I having a 7 or 10 course meal. last year I went the 7 fish route.
I may go with braised short rib this year as main . with soup, salad, hors d'oeuvres, as three of other courses.

That sounds obscene to me. Sorry.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » October 17th, 2019, 7:12 pm

And how many people will this serve Wargarden ?
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby wargarden » October 17th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Prettykiwicrazy 8-10 people
wargarden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 17th, 2019, 9:30 pm

A friend did the Italian 7 fishes for Christmas Eve a couple of years ago, it was too much, I think we should have reduced a couple of courses to canapés

My childhood Christmas menus were much like earthmaiden’s

If I do the full Christmas I tend to bake the gammon on Christmas Eve and have it hot with baked potatoes and coleslaw - it doesn’t take up much of the kitchen. Then the traditional roast and pud o the day. Smoked salmon has to feature somewhere

Over recent years I’ve tended to be out on Christmas Eve and to roast a duck on Christmas Day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby wargarden » October 18th, 2019, 3:59 am

Prettykiwicrazy we go to my brothers for thanksgiving so the menu for that is his problem.
wargarden
Registered

Postby scullion » October 18th, 2019, 9:36 am

wargarden wrote: I having a 7 or 10 course meal. [...]

it does sound like you'd need a pallet to ship all that food in!
do you have to hire all the tableware or do you have a china room‽
scullion
Registered

Postby wargarden » October 18th, 2019, 1:29 pm

China is bit too delicate. I t is not as much as you think since most of plates are small.
wash is bit task but all plates can be cleaned in dishwasher.
we use tableware not silverware. which can washed easily and does not need to be shined
and does not tarnish. I worked for a caterer so everything is very organized .
Also most of minor dishes are cold , easily reheated, held at temperature or cooked day before.
When i worked for caterer we used to do several big fundraisers that were 12 courses for over hundred.
So for 8-10 at home not to bad. planning ahead is key.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 18th, 2019, 1:49 pm

I don’t think many people use silverware everyday here wargarden.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 18th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I don’t think many people use silverware everyday here wargarden.

However, I will be getting the good china out for use at Christmas. Christmas and Easter are its two annual appearances. Plus the monogrammed silver cutlery that has been passed down OH’s family. Again it gets used twice a year, I refuse to polish it - it’s his family stuff so his job :lol: .

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby scullion » October 18th, 2019, 2:42 pm

it is nice to hear a little of your background, wargarden. you say you used to work for a caterer, what do you do now?
if you do not use 'china' tableware, does that mean you are using glass, metal or plastic?
i was assuming that you were using stainless steel cutlery, few use silver or plated nowadays - unless it's inherited or one is nouveau riche.
do you do all of the cooking yourself or do you have help?
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 18th, 2019, 3:08 pm

That all sounds very organized, wargarden.

My parents had (have) brass(?) cutlery with rosewood handles for posh, and of course we (sibling and I) had to wash (by hand - no dishwasher) and polish as soon as dinner was over. Ditto the crockery, which was/is dark blue, and my mother insisted on it being rubbed dry to stop smears.

I have been thinking, now, about how Christmas dinner at my mother's could be less miserable. Her house is quite small, and what was the dining room is now her bedroom, but if I could get a cheap fold away 4 seater table, it could be fitted into her sitting room by the bay window, and perhaps she could be wheeled up to it. That way I could make more of an occasion of it. Repeated comode-caused evacuations will still be unavoidable, of course!
Last edited by Herbidacious on October 18th, 2019, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 18th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Gosh, Wargarden, your Christmas dinner does sound rather splendid! :D

I think we'll have goose this year. I shall order one from wonderful local food-hall (Cranstons) when they start taking their Christmas orders. No idea on sides or anything else yet.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby wargarden » October 18th, 2019, 5:12 pm

scullion i use metal utensil, ceramic plates and glass cups.
I have china and silverware but don't use it any more since it is harder to wash and does not
go in dishwasher. Also if you have relative with sticky finger it is expensive to replace
depending on pattern.

but best part of meal that really makes planning easier is people on special diets;
have to give notice 4 weeks in advance. Other wise they have eat what everyone else does.
thankfully the only special diet is one relative who can't have certain green vegetables
because they are on medicine.
wargarden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 18th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Our plan (at the moment) is to make a casserole of some description on 24 Dec.
Then on the big day we can go for a good walk, drop in for a beer or two then come home and not have to cook.

If we have things our way it will be just us two, at home.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2019, 5:37 pm

If any sticky fingered relative made off with any of my family silver that’d be the last time they ate at my table :shock:
suffolk
Registered

Postby wargarden » October 18th, 2019, 5:55 pm

suffolk very true but i don't have any relatives like that i would invite over anyway.

WWordsworth set slow cookers and you can do a lot dishes that take up oven time.

with slow cooker you can do soups, stews, braising, casserole and other dish that take long cooking times.

Another secret if you want lots dishes but don't want you guests to fill up quickly is small portion for early dishes.

for the cheese course think i might do fondue.

one of hors d'oeuvres i might do a thick hot crab dip.

the real secret to big feast is early planning
wargarden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 18th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Sounds really nice wargarden.
I get the feeling you enjoy feeding a crowd.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 18th, 2019, 6:35 pm

suffolk wrote:If any sticky fingered relative made off with any of my family silver that’d be the last time they ate at my table :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Herbidacious wrote: if I could get a cheap fold away 4 seater table, it could be fitted into her sitting room by the bay window,

That sounds a good plan, Argos and Ikea used to have something like that and probably still do, I haven't looked.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » October 18th, 2019, 7:16 pm

We rotate between 4 houses and this year it’s at mils and sils. Good! I’m happy we’re not cooking this year, with a 4yr old and 11 month old I’m glad someone else is in charge.

We all contribute though...my mum and nephew have a birthday at the end of October and during that family meal we all decide who’s sorting what. The hosts do the main course and champagne. Others bring wine, canapés, desserts and cheese.

Main is always turkey or goose and sometimes a rib of beef too. I love it all! (Apart from Christmas pudding)
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 18th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Just four of this year as my Dad is no longer with us and my elder son & his fiancee will be in Greece with her family (they've been here the past few years so while I'll miss them it's only fair).
The vote so far is to stick with usual turkey & trimmings but scale back on starters and puds which suits me. :D With a bigger crowd it's easier to do lots of choices but harder for smaller groups without lots of leftovers. As long as there are lots of pigs in blankets, stuffing, roasties and gravy we'll all be happy. While opening pressies we'll have some nice nibbles no doubt involving smoked salmon and instead of pud a cheese board and mince pies etc. in the evening while we play various games and watch some TV/movies. Boxing Day is always leftovers, pickles and bubble & squeak. New Year's day is proving harder to agree on, usually I make the traditional (here) steak & sausage pie plus a roast meat. My sis and nephew adore the pie but my younger son and I aren't so keen but I'm not doing two choices for just the four of us. My vote is on a rib roast but we'll see. (But I have promised to make ham hough & lentil soup as a compromise ;) ) For both Christmas & New Year I always do as much prep as possible in the run up/ day before so I can relax and enjoy the day, this stems back to when the boys were small and I didn't want to lose precious time stuck in the kitchen while they enjoyed what Santa had delivered.
We do always set the table nicely but my "entertaining" china is a collection of cheap and cheerful white plates etc. Most of my entertaining involves feeding a crowd so this makes sense as it can all go in the dishwasher and is easily replaced if needed. With a lovely linen tablecloth, the "good" glasses and festive napkins/decorations it works really well.
Herbi -Re foldaway away tables I recently bought one from a Debenhams sale mainly to extend my dining table which at max sits 8. I just checked and it's out of stock but it was just over £100 and is solid wood. It's sits beautifully in my smallish bay window and really doesn't take up much room but is a decent size when unfolded, definitely worth having a look around.
liketocook
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » October 19th, 2019, 1:28 am

I shall be in Mexico city, so I may well be eating Mole Poblano!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 19th, 2019, 10:20 am

wargarden wrote:one of hors d'oeuvres i might do a thick hot crab dip.

Yum!! :chops: :chops:

Any chance you could share the recipe for that one Wargarden?
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby wargarden » October 19th, 2019, 6:53 pm

when get it from my brother i will.
there several recipes online for a hot crab dip.
my brother recipe was on of them.
his recipe does not have cheese and not a lot of old bay.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Bubbles » October 19th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Herbidacious wrote:That all sounds very organized, wargarden.

My parents had (have) brass(?) cutlery with rosewood handles for posh, and of course we (sibling and I) had to wash (by hand - no dishwasher) and polish as soon as dinner was over. Ditto the crockery, which was/is dark blue, and my mother insisted on it being rubbed dry to stop smears.

I have been thinking, now, about how Christmas dinner at my mother's could be less miserable. Her house is quite small, and what was the dining room is now her bedroom, but if I could get a cheap fold away 4 seater table, it could be fitted into her sitting room by the bay window, and perhaps she could be wheeled up to it. That way I could make more of an occasion of it. Repeated comode-caused evacuations will still be unavoidable, of course!

This is almost the same set up as my mother in law. When she had her stroke and could no longer get upstairs, a hospital bed was set up in her dining room - although it is quite a big room. My OH ran a track round the bed set into the ceiling with a curtain which surrounds the commode and hoist etc. This means we can set up the table in the bay window, which is ideal for the four of us; MIL, OH, carer and myself. Not sure what will be on the menu as she has turned vegan this year (98) but I know Christmas pudding with heavy on the brandy, brandy butter will feature as she absolute loves it!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » October 19th, 2019, 7:41 pm

I’d also like the hot crab dip recipe please! I make a crab Thermidor out of a very old recipe book of my mums. I’ve been making it since I was at high school. I know for some fish and cheese together is sacrilege but the cheesy top on the crab with a thick slice of brown bread and a wedge of lemon is so good.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 21st, 2019, 3:48 pm

Bubbles, we don't just leave the room for the sake of her privacy :shock:

Maybe I should make my mother turkey made from chocolate. She'd probably eat that. Although she'd complain that I was trying to make her fat :D

She keeps telling me at the moment that she thinks she is dying (mainly because she is so tired all the time), so in spite of all my complaining I will feel very fortunate if we are together at Christmas, although this is true evey year, of course.

My mother is obssessed about the environment (amongst other things) and said she could go vegetarian, but not shown any signs of doing so yet, so all kudos to your MIL for going about such a change at 98.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Bubbles » October 21st, 2019, 6:40 pm

MIL is the same, wants to plant a woodland etc. She loves chocolate but doesn’t want to put on weight. Loves wine as well. It’s great though that she has an optimistic outlook, but can be quite demanding! Oh! Trying not to think about Christmas!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 21st, 2019, 8:11 pm

Things might be easier if my mum were not tee total... :o
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 21st, 2019, 9:39 pm

I've remembered why I don't plan Christmas too early. The dynamics of the family have already changed more than once since this thread started :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby wargarden » October 22nd, 2019, 4:01 pm

earthmaiden i worry about the food. the relatives and friends will
come or not. If not there are plenty of leftovers.
wargarden
Registered

Next

Return to The Kitchen