[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Packed Lunch - no electricity

Packed Lunch - no electricity

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Packed Lunch - no electricity

Postby earthmaiden » March 8th, 2020, 9:18 pm

Just for fun. If you were camping without a fridge or electricity from Friday to Sunday in June and made your own portable packed lunches from food you'd brought with you, what would you make? You have access to a tin opener and knife etc and eat most things.
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Packed Lunch - no electricity

Postby wargarden » March 8th, 2020, 10:02 pm

if mean by fridge you mean no cooler.
well there is dried beef, hard salami or vienna sausages sandwiches if have
mustard packets.

you could make canned tuna salad or canned chicken salad sandwich if
you have mayo packets

peanut butter jelly sandwiches
Fluffernutter - peanut butter and marshmallow creme sandwich
wargarden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 8th, 2020, 11:08 pm

I hadn't thought of peanut butter :chops:. I tried something the other day in a jar which was probably the same as marshmallow creme and didn't like it one bit.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » March 9th, 2020, 1:08 am

cheese and onion savoury flapjacks.
bread and marmalade/peanut butter/marmite combinations. i can't remember if 'tartex' needs a fridge after opening - i don't think so (yeast based paté) but that's really good.
oats soaked overnight in water with added honey, lemon juice, raisins and chopped apple.
scullion
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 9th, 2020, 9:24 am

Cereal bars, apples, dried fruit, chocolate.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » March 9th, 2020, 9:46 am

I've never seen or eaten savoury flapjacks! Just looked them up, they look lovely!

I suppose I was thinking of things not using bread when I started this, sandwiches are the simple answer but there are so many other nice things. Definitely Suelle's suggestions too!

I haven't seen Tartex for years!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 9th, 2020, 12:05 pm

Tinned fish would be fairly nutritious on crackers . There’s also tinned ham , corned beef etc as protein sources . I’d probably bring some jars of pickles and keep in a cool box or I guess if I had access to a stream , maybe keep them in a bucket and tie it in the stream . Bit boy scoutish.

If I had the skills to build a campfire and had a pan I could probably boil some egggs ,, then of course pasta and couscous .

I’d probably take a box of granola with me to snack on , some tinned fruit .

I think it’d be fairly mNageable
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 9th, 2020, 12:16 pm

Gruney
Registered

Postby scullion » March 9th, 2020, 12:22 pm

can we cheat on equipment? we camp at the green gathering, for nearly a week, in august. there is no electricity and we have no fridge but we do have solar cookers and can access milk etc. we eat very well, baking bread daily, cooking curry, cake, humous, chilli, rice, most things - in fact we eat very well.
we sometimes have to go and buy coffee if the sun isn't up early enough!
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 9th, 2020, 12:53 pm

I've camped on and off for years with my family and by myself and never used electricity (and didn't live with a fridge in the house for the first 13 years of my life). We certainly haven't starved! It's just interesting to get new ideas.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 9th, 2020, 2:08 pm

I did lots of camping when the offsprung were small. A camping coolbox with a couple of frozen 'cool blocks' will keep butter, cheese, milk and salad veg etc cool for a weekend. :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 9th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Following on the cool box theme, most campsites have freezers so you can refreeze your ice blocks..........I always cooked a curry or casserole, chilli etc and froze it at home prior to setting off. This acted as a ice block in the cool box as it gradually defrosted, then as a main meal on one day of the camp.

I’m assuming you would have a camping stove? Egg sandwiches, the food of gods, parties and picnics!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Return to The Kitchen