[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Wildfood.info • View topic - comfort foods during times of stress

comfort foods during times of stress

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

comfort foods during times of stress

Postby wargarden » March 16th, 2020, 12:56 am

what comfort food of growing up or new ones that you plan on making during
these trying times. Here are few of mine.

cottage pie
shepherd's pie
chicken maryland
chicken soup
turkey soup
apple pie
southern biscuits
corn bread
wargarden
Registered

Re: comfort foods during times of stress

Postby scullion » March 16th, 2020, 8:18 am

I'm not sure that I have any particular comfort food.
Maybe things which involve cheese or mashed potato would be high on the list (but that may be for the oily/buttery-ness) but it could also involve a big mixed salad so no, don't think I have anything worth singling out.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 16th, 2020, 8:26 am

Mmmm, I'm coming over to yours for meals wargarden! :chops:.

Macaroni cheese is my ultimate comfort food but I'm not in the mood right now. Spring is on the way and I'm looking forward, hopefully, to lighter foods. I do like stir fries and interesting salads (as well as Heinz tomato soup with a cheese sandwich and Beef and Tomato pot noodle which I have stockpiled, but not more than my fair share!).
I picked up some lovely looking pieces of chuck steak last week. My mother used to marinade a piece each in lemon, cover with dried onions and a smidge of water and braise slowly. I did that with a piece last night and served it with potato & veg. It was just as good as I remembered and took me right back.

Some good Palestinian recipes in the Guardian this morning. I want to try the aubergine hummus
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/m ... ianTodayUK
I think we're going to have much more time for cooking - if we can get the ingredients.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » March 16th, 2020, 8:37 am

scullion
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 16th, 2020, 8:55 am

When we're feeling most stressed will probably be when the realities of food shortages kick in, so it will be whatever we can get hold of.

In my case it will be baked beans, as I stocked up on my favourite brand when it was on special offer a while ago. Let's hope we have bread to make toast - I'm hopeless at yeast baking and baked beans with a scone doesn't have quite the same appeal, even though it could add a nice cheese-y element.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » March 16th, 2020, 10:16 am

Potato cakes (i.e mashed with flavourings added and a bit of flour) go well with beans I think. I think I have mentioned what we used to call 'puffs' before too. My mother's standby if we were low on bread, to go with a fried egg etc. Mix salted SR flour with enough water to make a thick paste. Drop in blobs into the frying pan (it needs some oil and is nice with lots but doesn't need it). Cook on one side then turn - make sure the middles are cooked before serving. I like them with beans!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 16th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby wargarden » March 16th, 2020, 5:00 pm

earthmaiden you would have wait 45 days to get here. since no air travel between the USA
and UK for 30 day and another 15 day of quarantine;before I will serve any guests.
wargarden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 16th, 2020, 5:07 pm

Just my luck :lol.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 16th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Hot, filling winter food, in essence?

When I am really stressed, it's no food...

I've not eaten all day. I am having spiced (cumin, wild garlic, smoked paprika, garlic seasoning, Gran Luchito Mexican spice mix (Chipotle Chilli, Smoked Salt, Lime, Mexican Oregano, Coriander, Garlic, Guajillo, Epazote,Paprika) more coriander), smoky (liquid smoke) baked beans loaded with cheese tonight. Hunger has finally kicked in.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 17th, 2020, 9:38 am

miss mouse
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 17th, 2020, 10:44 am

Anything involving mash or food that you can eat with a spoon are my go to comfort foods.
I freeze mash often with no problems in single portions. I like to make mine using a potato ricer so tend to make a large batch at a time.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 17th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Seatallan
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 19th, 2020, 1:45 am

I´d go for an omelette with cheese , tomatoes, fried onions - and chips.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 19th, 2020, 2:15 pm

My trip to the supermarket this morning would only yield the cheese aspect of that meal. I am guessing that we are getting a taste of how things have been for you in Venezuela for some time, Clive, in terms of empty shop shelves.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 20th, 2020, 12:11 am

Yes, probably true, Herbie.
It becomes rather scary after a while - you go to the shops for something really mundane, like flour, rice, potatoes or milk, and they´re nowhere to be found. Curiously enough, however, we seem to have had plenty of everything in the past few months, even though much of it was imported - but at least it was there.
I´m going to the supermarket tomorrow but I surmise there will be shortages. We´re on serious lockdown over here!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby wargarden » March 20th, 2020, 3:15 am

karadekoolaid thats how your UK ancestors saw stores during WW2-1954 and during part of great depression.
my bet soon the government will put limits on certain item per trips to the store.
I think i might post some links to images of ww2 and post war ministry of food cookery leaflets
wargarden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 20th, 2020, 7:26 am

miss mouse
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 20th, 2020, 7:45 am

Remember how the citizens in Eastern Europe coped under Communist regimes -
a) never go out without a shopping bag
b) if you see a queue, join it
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » March 20th, 2020, 8:08 am

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 20th, 2020, 9:30 am

Most of us are trying to avoid queues!!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » March 20th, 2020, 9:49 am

scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 20th, 2020, 10:15 am

Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » March 20th, 2020, 11:01 am

scullion
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 20th, 2020, 3:01 pm

I agree I don’t think anything from back then would be applicable now . Most people’s store cupboards are much more well stocked and international nowadays . I think focussing on budget style modern cookery would be much more helpful . Jack Monroe has a useful blog
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 20th, 2020, 6:09 pm

karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby scullion » March 21st, 2020, 3:43 pm

today's little treat - a cream tea.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 21st, 2020, 5:08 pm

Yum. I have scones and jam but forgot clotted cream :( Double works if you put things in a dish and eat with a spoon, though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Lokelani » March 21st, 2020, 8:14 pm

I made mashed potato last night, it's probably my ultimate comfort food.
Wishing I hadn't given away all my seeds when I got fed up with weed fighting.... I mean gardening. :lol: Might have to start up again, although seeds will probably be the next panic buy. :rolleyes:
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 22nd, 2020, 9:16 am

Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 22nd, 2020, 9:44 am

I've got a lot of old seeds for sprouting leaves and things which stare at me in the kitchen - they're all going to be used this year!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » March 22nd, 2020, 10:32 am

scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » March 22nd, 2020, 10:36 am

i have enough seeds saved to last a few years!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 22nd, 2020, 10:44 am

Highly recommended for veg seeds

https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/vegetables-and-herbs

Also there is a Seed & Plant Swap thread on the Gardeners’ World forum where gardeners are happy to post you their excess seeds. You don’t have to have anything to swap ... some folk ask for postage.

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discus ... -swap-2020

Have a look ... if there’s anything you want sign up and send the person with the seeds a PM ... you don’t have to have been a longtime member ... all are welcome to join in.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 22nd, 2020, 1:31 pm

Thanks Suffs :D
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen