Soup

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: Soup

Postby Ratatouille » March 4th, 2019, 10:14 am

I've got a pan of carrot and coriander soup ready for lunch. I plan to top it with crumbled crispy pancetta.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 4th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Amber wrote:Waitrose might ‘do’ them....but they’re never in stock here :( :evil: .

Sainsbury's sell them for 55p
Catherine
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 4th, 2019, 4:57 pm

I made carrot and swede soup today, purely because both veg needed using.
Seasoned with s & P plus a shake of dried smoked garlic, blended with some Marigold.
It was surprisingly sweet, you would think it contained butternut.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 4th, 2019, 5:00 pm

I have looked in my local supermarkets. Like Amber I never seem to catch them in stock these days, so when I saw a whole shelf of them in Wing Yip it was Hallelujah! :D

Incidentally Charmaine Solomons points out that canned coconut milk is more concentrated than is easily made by hand, so look at recipes critically, and if you think the recipe is using home made, use the canned diluted with water. This makes a difference I find
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » March 5th, 2019, 12:23 am

Catherine wrote:
Amber wrote:Waitrose might ‘do’ them....but they’re never in stock here :( :evil: .

Sainsbury's sell them for 55p

Not here :( . Nor do asda, Morrison’s, etc etc. I’ve had to resort to buying full size cans - sometimes I freeze half, ususally it just gets wasted :( .
Amber
Registered

Postby scullion » July 14th, 2019, 8:17 am

maybe the new soup thread could be merged with this one, rather than having to search through two for a recipe or idea?
scullion
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 14th, 2019, 10:54 am

scullion wrote:maybe the new soup thread could be merged with this one, rather than having to search through two for a recipe or idea?

Ah, I hadn't quite taken on board that there were two threads, Scully, I now realise I actually thought I had posted on this one :oops: :oops: Sorry!
KC2
Registered

Postby scullion » July 20th, 2019, 6:46 pm

i think i'm going to bounce this one to the top again and ask if the other can be added to this as it's going to be annoying having to search on both threads for an idea known to have been posted in the past.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 20th, 2019, 8:16 pm

Very good idea Scully :tu:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 24th, 2019, 10:32 am

i have a couple of leeks - i know it isn't really (hot) soup season but i'm fancying good old leek and potato.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 24th, 2019, 10:45 am

Leeks ... Iced vichyssoise :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 24th, 2019, 12:13 pm

:chops: :chops: :chops: :chops:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » July 27th, 2019, 10:03 am

the leek and potato that i made on thursday morphed into cheese, potato and onion soup last night. yummy.
scullion
Registered

Postby KC2 » August 13th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Nigel Slater's carrot and tomato soup uses fresh tomatoes - it's that time of year, especially for those fortunate enough to grow them! Presumably a can of good Italian tomatoes would be an OK substitute? https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/j ... -with-feta
Btw, do you peel your carrots for soup?
Edited to add I would certainly get fresh if/when I saw them at the market, but there's no guarantee that they'd be particularly flavourful.
KC2
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 14th, 2019, 10:31 am

I made a big pan of courgette, potato and green bean soup yesterday to use up garden excess. I used paprika spiced chicken stock and it has given it a lovely smokey flavour.
I do peel carrots for soup as I rarely buy organic ones and want to make sure any pesticide residue is removed.
liketocook
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » August 14th, 2019, 1:48 pm

I’ve just made a pea, potato, and lettuce soup, using my ‘gone to seed’ lettuces. It has hm chicken stock, a slug of dry sherry and a whirl of buttermilk in it, and it is very tasty.
like to cook, I have been really enjoying the Ayrshire potatoes this year, much better than the Jerseys. But was delighted to get our first local spuds yesterday.....Duke of Yorks...everyone up here gets very excited about the first ‘dukes’. It’s a short season though.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 14th, 2019, 5:54 pm

:chops: :chops: :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 15th, 2019, 9:23 am

patpoyntz wrote:like to cook, I have been really enjoying the Ayrshire potatoes this year, much better than the Jerseys. But was delighted to get our first local spuds yesterday.....Duke of Yorks...everyone up here gets very excited about the first ‘dukes’. It’s a short season though.

Yes they've been really good this year :D , I've eaten rather a lot of them. :chops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » August 29th, 2019, 12:27 pm

yesterday's (and this lunchtime's) soup was made with olive oil, sliced onion, sliced garlic, finely sliced carrots, chopped tomatoes (and puree), butter beans, basil, rosemary, a touch of chilli powder but not enough to really notice, a bit of vegitable stock powder and ground black pepper (plus some water of course) in that order of going in the pan not order of quantity.
good and hearty but not heavy.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 5th, 2019, 8:30 am

Yesterday I made a cauliflower and blue cheese soup … Mainly to use up half a dish of cauliflower cheese I had made earlier in the week. It's boodly lovely :tu: :chef:

I made up a pint of stock using a veg stock cube and used that to cook off a chopped white onion and the same volume of chopped celery. I then added the leftover CCheese, and a tub of Saint Agur Blue Créme cheese . Blitzed it all together with the Bamix, and added just enough milk to make it more soup than sauce consistency. :chops: :chops: :chops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » October 5th, 2019, 2:44 pm

the soup we had for lunch was the pumpkin chowder that's become a firm favourite of 'he who doesn't like pumpkin soup'.
(the recipe indicates that they used green peppers but i would say red are better).
(made with the blue/grey pumpkin/squash that has been stored in the outhouse since last winter).
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » October 10th, 2019, 4:01 pm

I made this a little earlier - really good. Thanks Scully.
Gruney
Registered

Postby scullion » October 10th, 2019, 4:13 pm

it beats the rather boring curried pumpkin soup that was the fallback for using up pumpkin, doesn't it‽
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » October 10th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Yes it does. Strange thing, flavour - I was instantly taken back to my mother's sheep's head broth -and that's well over 65 years ago. Totally different ingredients, but somehow the taste is very reminiscent. Thanks again.
Gruney
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen