Christmas vegetarian/vegan food

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Re: Christmas vegetarian/vegan food

Postby karadekoolaid » November 14th, 2015, 1:43 am

One doesn't have to have protein with every meal expect insofar that it might be less satisfactory without it

Well, yes,I agree, Herbie; except that when I have had a dish like the aforementioned stuffed squash,I find I`m starving hungry two hours later.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 14th, 2015, 6:19 pm

Hope wrote:I like to have protein with every meal, otherwise my blood sugar levels go a bit nuts, and I get moody and tired (or at least more moody and tired than normal!)

Maybe this is where i go wrong :?

I think I can do without it; I certainly don't eat it at every meal in substantial quantities - I tend to go down the salad route for weekday lunches, but there can be a certain satiation disappointment without it that one might not want to lack for a special meal.

But given my tendency towards low blood sugar, I am taking on board what you say, Hope, and I shall experiment with eating more protein. It's probably too late it to enhance my brain function with it though ;)

yes I will probably do mushroom and chestnut wellington as usual. I might have a go at smoking mushroom bacon tomorrow though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rainbow » November 14th, 2015, 10:43 pm

Thanks for posting the Tofu Loaf, Scullion - I haven't looked on this thread for a while ;)

I've done a pumpkin and nut roast for the last few years and really like it - will probably do it again this time, although I might try the tofu loaf for a change.
Haven't thought much about it yet - it's only November!!
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 15th, 2015, 6:29 am

Since I don't meat any more, I too look for a vegetarian or seafood recipe for myself for X-mas day. I am making salmon en croute for me. For a vegetarian option, you cold incorporate paneer cheese cubes for giving some protein. Otherwise, you might feel hungry again, when everyone else is still feeling stuffed from Xmas dinner. Some sort of chickpea and paneer/feta filling will also be good, giving you both protein, as well as a full stomach for longer.
Herbidacious, if you are in a houseful of meat eaters, it is so easy to put yourself last all the time and 'make do' with whatever you can russel up. There is a real danger of protein deficiency and anaemia, very common in Indian vegetarians. That is one of the reasons why Indian vegetarians have paneer in so many dishes and eat dal every day. In this mushroom and squash wellington, you could perhaps replace mushrooms with either paneer or chickpeas or both mixed up, giving you some protein.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 15th, 2015, 6:34 am

Since I don't eat meat any more, I too look for a vegetarian or seafood recipe for myself for X-mas day. I am making salmon en croute for me. For a vegetarian option, you cold incorporate paneer cheese cubes in spinach and cream cheese mix. Some sort of spiced up chickpea and paneer/feta mix filling will also be good, giving you both protein, as well as a full stomach for longer. In this mushroom and squash wellington by Jamie O, you could perhaps replace mushrooms with either paneer or chickpeas or both, giving you some protein. Otherwise, you might feel hungry again, when everyone else is still feeling stuffed from Xmas dinner.
Herbidacious, if you are in a houseful of meat eaters, it is so easy to put yourself last all the time and 'make do' with whatever you can come up with quickly. There is a real danger of protein deficiency and anaemia, very common in Indian vegetarians. That is one of the reasons why Indian vegetarians have paneer in so many dishes and eat dal every day.
Mamta
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 15th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Mamta wrote: Herbidacious, if you are in a houseful of meat eaters, it is so easy to put yourself last all the time and 'make do' with whatever you can russel up. There is a real danger of protein deficiency and anaemia, very common in Indian vegetarians.

I'm glad you (a non meat eating doctor) said that, because I was concerned about Herbidacious not getting enough protein, but didn't want to seem (as an unrepentant carnivore) to give the impression I was picking on her. When I'm on my fast days with a very limited calorie input, it is noticeable that most of the recipes get a fairly high proportion of their calories from protein, despite the fact that it's far easier to fill the belly with few calories by eating loads of vegetables. Would you agree that in principle, it is unwise to eat a meal that doesn't have any/much protein, as a vegetarian/vegan?
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Kacey » November 15th, 2015, 5:27 pm

I've often concerned that in our vegetarian household we don't eat enough protein, and since starting the 5:2 diet 17 months ago, we're eating less cheese than ever before. My OH can't be in the same room as an egg so I only eat them high days and holidays. We eat tofu usually once a week and because we love Indian food best of all, we eat lentils and pulses a couple of times a week. A recent health scare has meant I've had a huge series of blood tests and my GP was astonished to find that all my results are in her words 'abnormally normal'. So I'm not going to worry about the protein side of our diet and keep on as we are.
Kacey
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 15th, 2015, 5:40 pm

You have been luckyso far Lacey☺. However, it pays to have a balanced diet in the long run, whatever your choices are.
Take care.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Hope » November 15th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Clive - I'd suggest adding some beans, lentils or (if you eat them) eggs to your lunch time salads.I find if I eat lentils, particularly, at lunch time I actually make it through to dinner!
Hope
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 15th, 2015, 8:07 pm

I'm glad you (a non meat eating doctor) said that, because I was concerned about Herbidacious not getting enough protein, but didn't want to seem (as an unrepentant carnivore) to give the impression I was picking on her. When I'm on my fast days with a very limited calorie input, it is noticeable that most of the recipes get a fairly high proportion of their calories from protein, despite the fact that it's far easier to fill the belly with few calories by eating loads of vegetables. Would you agree that in principle, it is unwise to eat a meal that doesn't have any/much protein, as a vegetarian/vegan?

Ian, I still eat all the seafood (in plenty) and eggs, although I have not eaten meat for a few years :), and I haven't been a doctor for many, many years now ;).
I was an egg eating vegetarian until I cam to UK in my early 20s, when I started eating and enjoying all sorts of meat. In my early life of growing up, our parents understood, and made sure that we understood, that a balanced diet containing all three components was good for health and growth. So, in answer to your question, yes, I do believe that a meal should have a balance of all three; protein, carbohydrate and fats. I am sure that the dieticians amongst us here will be able to tell you more precisely.
Proteins do keep you full longer. If I remember correctly, proteins have roughly half the calories of fat, that is weight for weight. However, fat and carbohydrates are also important, in right amounts.

Christmas is a time for celebration for vegetarians as well as non-vegetarians. So there is no reason for vegetarians to deprive themselves of any element of a good diet :).
Merry Christmas!
Mamta
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 15th, 2015, 9:27 pm

My mother has been going on at me about my protein intake since i became a vegetarian 29 years ago... :)

I am not a lone vegetarian in a meat eating household actually so no excuse. I am on my own most of the time, and when my husband is here for one and a half days a week, we eat lunch out on both days so his food choice does not affect mine. (He eats fish but not meat.)

Maybe I shall look into the protein thing. I didn't notice a change in my health when I became a vegetarian. Long term effects?
I was not anaemic - B and iron levels ok - when I had my last blood test a few months ago. But how does one test for protein deficiency?

I tend to opt for low protein options when buying my lunch on work days because the veggie options with high protein always seem to be high calorie (much higher than things with meat or fish in them.) Maybe I should up my egg consumption.

I'll try using MFP to track what I am eating for a while. I think it's easy to assume one is eating less of, well anything.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 15th, 2015, 11:43 pm

Hernidacious, in your shoes, I'd be looking to indian food based on pulses. Of all the cuisines in the world, IMO, that is the cuisine which best understands living without meat. Mind you... the buddhist monks we visited in Hong Kong didn't eat badly either, with tofu providing most of their protein needs.

I forget what the recommended daily protein requirements are, but a quick check on line recommends 0.75g per kg bodyweight per day. With lentils & beans containing about 6% and 20% respectively (dry weight), You can work out that for someone weighing around 60kg, that would mean you need 45g protein or 225g beans a day, if that's your only protein source which of course wouldn't need to be the case. That's about 700 Kcals or so, which is hardly excessive. If you do what millions of people do and eat brown rice as well, that contains about 6% (dry weight) with a calorie count of around 350Kcal/100g.
--
All the best
Ian
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » November 16th, 2015, 1:32 pm

Protein deficiency might show itself in skin, hair and nails before there was obvious illness; I've mentioned this before but- the trichologist Phillip Kingsley noted that he was seeing lots of attractive young women who were overdoing the healthy eating and living on fruit and veg alone, to the point where their hair was suffering

I agree with those who say that some protein in a meal makes it feel more sustaining; if you look at the M&S Fuller for Longer pots, they do keep hunger at bay for a long time for a small pot

The formula seems to be some fibre + some protein + some slow release carb and a touch of healthy oil or fat

So you might get a salad containing a whole grain or pasta + some pulses + perhaps a bit of feta or other dairy and of course some fruit/veg/herbs to make it interesting

ETA: I looked for a good online article about protein deficiency, couldn't find a good one but did note that craving sugar can be a sign
Last edited by StokeySue on November 16th, 2015, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 16th, 2015, 1:44 pm

So you might get a salad containing a whole grain or pasta + some pulses + perhaps a bit of feta or other dairy and of course some fruit/veg/herbs to make it interesting

Totally agree. I can't imagine having a main meal salad, which I often do for lunch, without some protein item with/in it, be it cheese, boiled egg, cold fish, beans/pulses. I would be rushing to the kitchen within an hour to find something else, if it didn't have protein and a little bit of oil in the dressing.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 17th, 2015, 5:06 pm

I did get a bit paranoid the other night. But I don't have any symptoms of protein deficiency. My hair is strong and shiny, nails normal and skin on the oily side, not pale etc. I don't particularly crave carbs or sugar. I am actually quite quick to heal. Low energy yes, but I have had that since well before vegetarian days (i.e as a child.) Ditto low blood sugar.

I do understand about nutrition... I did stop eating meat a very long time ago and educated myself about that side of it. I admit that when I am on a diet I can pay less attention to it when perhaps I should pay it more.

One can take a test for protein deficiency, but I am not sure my GP would want to, as there doesn't really seem to be any reason other than me indicating that I don't eat a great deal of it.

Hence back to a food diary to see what the reality of the situation is.

Anyway perhaps we should return to Christmas food?!

My mushroom wellington does have chestnuts in it (and an awful lot of butter.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 17th, 2015, 7:45 pm

Herbidacious wrote: My mushroom wellington does have chestnuts in it (and an awful lot of butter.)
Sounds lovely. I've seen a recipe for lentil and mushroom pudding that looked pretty sumptuous too.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » November 18th, 2015, 9:28 am

Remember that chestnuts are not a protein food though - they are the only nut that isn't!

Obviously Herbi is doing OK :tu: but it is a common misconception so worth mentioning generally; they have about 1/10 the protein of almonds and a lot less than 1/10 the fat
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » November 18th, 2015, 2:17 pm

ianinfrance wrote:
Herbidacious wrote: My mushroom wellington does have chestnuts in it (and an awful lot of butter.)
Sounds lovely. I've seen a recipe for lentil and mushroom pudding that looked pretty sumptuous too.

Do you have that recipe Ian?
Catherine
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 18th, 2015, 4:51 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 11th, 2015, 7:42 pm

I'm tempted to cook this meal for family over the Christmas period and none of us are vegetarian
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ane-baxter
Catherine
Registered

Postby smitch » December 11th, 2015, 8:01 pm

That squash recipe sounds really nice!
smitch
Registered

Postby scullion » October 27th, 2016, 9:51 am

thought i'd resurrect this thread as some people think that c......... is coming!
scullion
Registered

Postby smitch » October 27th, 2016, 10:43 am

I'm considering making this:
http://www.simple-veganista.com/2012/11/the-ultimate-vegetable-lentil-loaf.html

I'm definitely having a trial run before the big day and I'll probably make a few substitutions and amendments to make it more festive. We're (hopefully) hosting Christmas at our house this year so there will be my in-laws plus possibly my husband's aunt. They're all omnis so the pressure is on to make something veggie they'll all enjoy :lol: :shock: :terrified:
smitch
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 27th, 2016, 7:50 pm

smitch wrote:I'm considering making this:
http://www.simple-veganista.com/2012/11/the-ultimate-vegetable-lentil-loaf.html

I'm definitely having a trial run before the big day and I'll probably make a few substitutions and amendments to make it more festive. We're (hopefully) hosting Christmas at our house this year so there will be my in-laws plus possibly my husband's aunt. They're all omnis so the pressure is on to make something veggie they'll all enjoy :lol: :shock: :terrified:

My laptop blocked the link smitch so I can't see your recipe, but I would be more than happy with this

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1476 ... ese-stacks
Catherine
Registered

Previous

Return to The Veggie Place