What have you cooked veggie today?

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Re: What have you cooked veggie today?

Postby KC2 » April 29th, 2019, 5:34 pm

They look delicious, scully! I confess I have always avoided deep frying, have never ever done it,not even once!
KC2
Registered

Postby scullion » April 29th, 2019, 11:20 pm

i think you could just about get away with shallow-ish frying them if you kept turning them. they stay together very well.
scullion
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 30th, 2019, 9:11 am

scullion wrote:i think you could just about get away with shallow-ish frying them if you kept turning them. they stay together very well.
Ah, good to know, thanks Scully :D
KC2
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 3rd, 2019, 9:28 am

I made a red Thai curry with mushrooms, green beans and cashews last night. It was very very tasty :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 7th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Chilli, cumin methi and cumin flatbreads... and a constructed paneer tikka masala curry.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Mamta » June 8th, 2019, 4:27 am

Chilli, cumin methi and cumin flatbreads... and a constructed paneer tikka masala curry.

Paratha sounds great. What is a constructed Paneer curry
Mamta
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 8th, 2019, 9:02 am

I used a kit, Mamta. Spice Tailors.

I am not sure the bread really worked. They were 'fried' in very little oil. As with pancakes, I think the later ones (after most of the oil had been absorbed by earlier ones) were better. They might improve with reheating.

I did find the recipe on line, but can't find now to post the link. Essentially they were made from wholemeal flour, water, olive oil and herbs and spices.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Mamta » June 13th, 2019, 8:26 am

I am not sure the bread really worked. They were 'fried' in very little oil. As with pancakes, I think the later ones (after most of the oil had been absorbed by earlier ones) were better. They might improve with reheating.

They sound like methi fenugreek leave paratha 1, or Methi leave paratha 2, both ways they are quite easy to make for an experienced cook like you , if you have the ingredients. Kits don't always work, though some are good .
Mamta
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 13th, 2019, 10:37 am

Mamta wrote:
They sound like methi fenugreek leave paratha 1, or Methi leave paratha 2, both ways they are quite easy to make for an experienced cook like you , if you have the ingredients. Kits don't always work, though some are good .

The kit was just for the curry, Mamta. The breads were from scratch. In fact the entire point was to make the bread. The curry was just to go with it :) I didn't have the time or energy after work to make both from scratch.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 13th, 2019, 10:39 am

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Mamta » June 15th, 2019, 7:57 am

Sounds pretty good to me, except it doesn't describe how to pan fry them.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 15th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Mamta wrote:Sounds pretty good to me, except it doesn't describe how to pan fry them.

That's just an excerpt from the book - you have to have the actual book to have the whole recipe.. and I do :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Mamta » June 15th, 2019, 1:33 pm

hat's just an excerpt from the book - you have to have the actual book to have the whole recipe.. and I do :)

That is all good then :). Enjoy :hungry: !
Mamta
Registered

Postby KC2 » June 21st, 2019, 8:02 pm

We had this tonight, it was delicious and will probably be even nicer tomorrow:
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/j ... en-in-rome
KC2
Registered

Postby scullion » June 23rd, 2019, 1:15 am

made this tonight.
well, i didn't make it exactly. when i went to the cupboard i realised i'd used the tin of black beans in a chilli a while back so i used red kidney beans. i also used a shallot rather than dried onion and fried it with the pepper before adding to the amaranth. more herbs and spices than the recipe calls for and then some more fresh thyme when i tasted the mix, before cooking along with some more of the flavouring stuff. i fried them (they didn't stick to the pan as suggested they do) rather than baked them.
they were good especially with the coconut/pepper/chilli sauce (which was really tasty) - a good sauce for other occasions, too, i think.
they could also take adding more amaranth as it seemed to disappear in the mix. i was expecting it to be a more prominent texture.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 23rd, 2019, 5:35 am

The pepper sauce looks nice. I am following a mostly plant based diet for a few weeks and am finding that smoked paprika and hot sauces seem to feature in vegan recipes rather more than I care for (I.e. don't want them in every meal!). I think there's a new trend.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 3rd, 2019, 6:08 pm

First batch of roast tomato passata made from tomatoes from the garden. Just tomatoes, salt and a dash of balsamic, adn run through the tomato mill several times. It's gone in the freezer - two 'tupperware' boxes of it.

I was watching the new Jamie Oliver programme last night. I had already bought the book on a whim (it's on offer in WHSmiths.) He wasn't too, too annoying, and the recipes were appealing. Comfortish food. We are entering autumn now, I guess. I'd be happy making and eating both the things he made. There was clearly a 'get as much veg into your food without it being too obvious' theme going on (for children I suppose.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Oat » September 4th, 2019, 9:23 am

I watched J.O that I had recorded and he didn't annoy me at all. I had the volume off :lol: Find it works best for me :lol:
Oat
Registered

Postby scullion » September 4th, 2019, 9:38 am

after watching, my partner asked me not to delete the programme from the humax - there's obviously a recipe that he thinks can be made in a solar cooker.
yesterdays sunshine offering was blackberry and apple crumble. very good.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 4th, 2019, 1:00 pm

I didn't see all of it. I saw him making a macaroni cheese with lots of vegetables blended into the sauce, and also left whole in the dish. And also some potato and sweet potato fried balls, with indian spices made into a sandwich with fresh mint and yoghurt, and mango chutney (bought, with added pomengrante seeds.) and Bombay mix. He called it an Indian-style chip butty.

The book is even cheaper on Amazon if you have Prime.

Ah! Or...

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/cat ... ree-meals/
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 13th, 2019, 9:59 am

Last night I made the allotment pie from Jamie Oliver's new series. Very tasty. :chops: But I think next time I will chop the veg into small chuncks, but it is very tasty.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 13th, 2019, 12:39 pm

So far all I am reading are good reviews about the new JO book. I feel a treat to myself coming on tomorrow. Half price in WHSmith. :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 13th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Not made anything yet, Tezza, but bookmarking lots to try.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 23rd, 2019, 7:42 am

Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce II. Has anyone made this? It's the one where you put a load of butter, half an onion (not chopped) in a pot of tomatoes, and cook for ages. It's supposed to be sublime. I couldn't get it to reduce enough. Having cooked it for ages on Saturday night, I gave up, and recommenced cooking yesterday. In the end, I rubbed it through a sieve (it was looking very seedy), and after further failure to reduced down, ate it as soup. I think I reinvented Heinz tomato soup... :? It was similar in flavour and texture, although with a deeper intensity and subtle acidity.

1kg yielded a small bowl full...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 23rd, 2019, 8:38 am

Perhaps your tomatoes gave off more liquid than the ones she used. Difficult to gauge before you start cooking and presumably the butter would add to the liquidity whilst it was warm.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 23rd, 2019, 9:46 am

Perhaps so. Generally, while making my roast passata, the tomatoes have given off a lot of liquid. I tried varying the temperature while roasting, but until the last batch, very runny results.

The last batch, I had in the oven at about 120C fan. I thought they were nearly ready when OH came home and suggested we went out for pizza. Was halfway through the pizza when I remembered I had left the over on. We weren't far from home fortunately. They were done to perfection, and the resulting passata had an amazing, intense flavour. Pity I didn't discover that this is what I had to do several kilos' worth ago, especially now the freezer is full.

Back to Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce II, I suspect they over-egg how amazing it is. My tomatoes have excellent flavours, but the sauce tasted no better than my roast passata... which doesn’t have a shed load of butter in it. (A fair amount of oil though, I suppose, but olive and smoked rapeseed.)

I still have quite a lot of tomatoes to pick, but no more freezer room. Perhaps I should use up some frozen ones and replace with slow cooked tomato passata.
Last edited by Herbidacious on September 24th, 2019, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 23rd, 2019, 10:48 pm

I made my veggie chilli a couple of nights ago and have just finished the last portion on a jacket spud for dinner. The last few times of making it I have been massively underwhelmed. Then I had half a tin of baked beans sat in the fridge, threw those in along with red lentils and frozen veggie soya mince and it was back to it's amazingly delicious self. I also think that the addition of chopped red peppers worked a treat. I'll make another batch next weekend I think. :chef: :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 24th, 2019, 7:45 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:I made my veggie chilli a couple of nights ago and have just finished the last portion on a jacket spud for dinner. The last few times of making it I have been massively underwhelmed. Then I had half a tin of baked beans sat in the fridge, threw those in along with red lentils and frozen veggie soya mince and it was back to it's amazingly delicious self. I also think that the addition of chopped red peppers worked a treat. I'll make another batch next weekend I think. :chef: :tu:

Sounds yum. I've not made one for ages. I think I went through a 'it's not as good as it used to be' phase too.

I have some red peppers growing on a plant (if the slugs don't get to them all today in the rain.) Not sure what they will taste like, but if they are ok could put them in one. I could make one tonight, in fact... stick some tomatoes from the garden in it too :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 7th, 2019, 7:36 am

I roasted red, yellow and orange pepper (homegrown) halves with thyme and rosemary (also from garden) tomato slices (ditto), feta, garlic slithers, bread crumbs (dried - Waitrose with coriander and chilli - needed using up) pine nuts and a drizzle of honey as an experiment on some of them. I also used smoked rapeseed oil. Maybe a smidge over cooked, but tasted good. I think they could be made to taste even better. More cheese, fresh breadcrumbs maybe. Possibly s-d tom paste. A little smoked paprika perhaps?

peppers.jpg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 15th, 2019, 10:59 pm

I :luv: stuffed peppers Herb. I'd happily munch through that little lot in one sitting as they are! :hungry:

I made an absolute favourite of mine tonight. I picked up an ever-so-reduced pack of Tofoo from Co-op yesterday for about 50p with a use by date of that day. Thought one more day won't hurt, bargain! I had a small portion of onions and strips of red peppers which I had stir fried in a sweet and sour, soy and chilli sauce the night before, cut the Tofoo into cubes and marinated it in the leftovers overnight. Tonight I stir fried quartered mushrooms and a head of broccoli, added bean sprouts and straight to the wok noodles and some extra soy mixed to a slurry with cornflour and Scotch bonnet chilli sauce, stirred that around until thick then added chopped fresh coriander. One big wok made me three large portions. Absolutely delightful, and if I am not mistaken the Tofoo was much tastier than the Cauldron stuff that I usually buy. :chops: Nice one that Co-op! :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 16th, 2019, 9:38 am

I like the Tofoo brand - it is a lot tastier than Cauldron, but also a lot pricier, so a very good buy!

Sounds delish!

I am increasingly becoming a tofu convert.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 18th, 2019, 5:06 pm

I bet peppers stuffed with macaroni cheese might be nice...
Herbidacious
Registered

Previous

Return to The Veggie Place