What have you cooked veggie today?

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Re: What have you cooked veggie today?

Postby wildfruitbat » September 11th, 2010, 9:32 am

chools wrote:Fresh sweet corn kernels with chopped sugar snap peas and red chilli, mixed with gram & rice flour, made into small rounds with a chefs ring and cooked in a little oil

Mmm :hungry:
wildfruitbat
Registered

Postby jasmin3 » September 11th, 2010, 11:28 am

chools wrote:(Note to self, must stop using so much gram flour!)

Why?
Can't eat it, myself, but ...... :?:

Yesterday, cooked at lunch-time & tea-time, because I didn't want to feel wierd again at college in the afternoon. So for lunch, had GF pasta with saute of onions, garlic, mushrooms & cashew nuts.
Tea-time, I had rice with mixed veg: potatoes, carrots, cabbage, runner beans & borlotti beans. With a very nice bottle of Rose Cava!!!! Because I got the job!!!!!!!!!! :P :lol: :P :lol: :P :lol:

Just now eaten the remaining veg mix as bubble & squeak for lunch. :D
jasmin3
Registered

Postby wildfruitbat » September 11th, 2010, 11:37 am

jasmin3 wrote: Because I got the job!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations indeed. That is wonderful news. Now to check for "over the moon" smileys.

:congrats:

Or possibly this one :cocktail:

:hi5: :hi5: :hi5: :hi5: :hi5: :hi5: :hi5: :hi5: :hi5: :hi5: :hi5: :hi5: :hi5:
Last edited by wildfruitbat on September 11th, 2010, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildfruitbat
Registered

Postby jasmin3 » September 11th, 2010, 11:11 pm

Thank you, WFB. :)

Decided on lentil soup for tea (red lentils, onions, potatoes, carrots) & ate the whole panful! :D Decided that was allowed as I wasn't up in time for brekkie! :)
jasmin3
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » September 11th, 2010, 11:36 pm

jasmin3 wrote:Because I got the job!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, very well done Jasmin! Many congratulations to you!

You deserve that bottle after the hard time you've been having! :hug:

What's the job, BTW?

Cheers, Paul
Breadmaking is an easy, everyday activity - not some difficult art form!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/
Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Mamta » September 12th, 2010, 7:14 am

Note to self, must stop using so much gram flour

Besan flour is good for you :-), so it is okay to eat it chools.
It is gluten free.
It is good for reducing blood sugar (not sure how exactly it does it).
It is better/richer in proteins than wheat.
It is lower in carbohydrate and calories than wheat.
It is very good for your skin, if used as a defoliant/face pack, might give you even younger looking skin ;-)! Hasn't worked for me though, I don't think :o !
I use it in so many things, I loose count.
So keep eating it :hungry:
Mamta
Registered

Postby chools » September 12th, 2010, 8:48 am

Congratulations on the job news Jasmin, I hope it all goes well for you and maybe you will treat yourself to something (as I did)

Re gram flour, it was a tongue in cheek note to self as I'd managed to use it in my main meal three days running, it is a very useful ingredient and is easy to use in veggie/vegan cooking. I don't tend to eat much wheat flour these days, not a deliberate action, but know if I make a loaf of bread and freeze it it seems to last about a month now

KrC
chools

Postby jasmin3 » September 12th, 2010, 11:50 am

Thanks Paul & Chools. :)
The job is in customer care for a surveying company quite local to home. I already had the Cava, Chools :D - possibly might celebrate a bit more when I'm a bit further in. :)
jasmin3
Registered

Postby Monnikka » September 13th, 2010, 1:37 pm

Yesterday we had the last of the pasties I froze recently and cauliflower 'cheese'.

Today I sauteed 1 diced chilli with a chopped onion and a sliced red pepper then added that to the leftover cauliflower. I served that with fried sliced baby potatoes and spiced lentil burgers which were already in the freezer.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » September 13th, 2010, 3:01 pm

Yesterday I had a roast dinner with stuffed mushrooms - one stuffed with mushroom pate and pesto and the other with mushroom pate and veggie haggis - plus a spicy tomato sauce.

Now I've got loads of roasted veg and greens to use up - along with the remains of the haggis and the sauce. Not sure what I'll do with them.

I'll be back later...

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby chools » September 13th, 2010, 6:16 pm

One our quick meals for tea... strips of smoked tofu fried in a little oil with finely chopped garlic and ginger, cauliflower cooked in coconut milk with chopped green chilli, steamed potatoes
chools

Postby Breadandwine » September 13th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Finally decided on a lentil curried cottage pie, using bubble and squeak instead of mash.

Added spicy sauce and grated Sheese to the B&S, then sprinkled it with nutritional yeast before baking.

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Hope » September 14th, 2010, 8:05 am

Congratulations Jasmine! Great news! When do you start?

Been a bit busy the past few days, so I haven't had time to come on here.

Yesterday I had a potato, courgette and tomato omlette for lunch. Then DS and I made some potato cakes for the freezer. And dinner was risotto with courgette, mushrooms and fennel and tofu nuggets.

Today I'm having leftover risotto for lunch. Dinner will be either veg pasta or stir fry. Depends on how much time/energy I have later!
Hope
Registered

Postby chools » September 14th, 2010, 6:57 pm

Neer dosas for tea, never cooked them before (made with rice and coconut), where just 'OK' but you don't know if you don't try! Coconut chutney I made to go with them was very nice, I thought I had made too much but bowls were licked clean :D
chools

Postby Mamta » September 14th, 2010, 7:15 pm

Neer dosas for tea,

I was wondering what Neer dosa was, since 'neer' is a Hindi word for water. I was thinking, how could you make dosa with water! Then i looked it up on the net, it is a dosa without dal and no need to ferment. Pictures looked tasty. I am just wondering how well the ground rice held together without the dal and how difficult was it to make?
Mamta
Registered

Postby Mamta » September 14th, 2010, 7:18 pm

I cooked moong dal with a cumin 'tarka' and had it with some leftover naans and cucumber raita from yesterday.
Mamta
Registered

Postby pinkmacaroon » September 14th, 2010, 7:27 pm

I did a stir fry thing with tofu, pak choi, onion (lots of chilli) with brown rice. I really enjoyed it even though it was a scratch meal.
pinkmacaroon
Registered

Postby pinkmacaroon » September 14th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Mamta wrote:
Note to self, must stop using so much gram flour

Besan flour is good for you :-), so it is okay to eat it chools.
It is good for reducing blood sugar (not sure how exactly it does it).

I didn't know that, I must investigate further.

Mamta, I have been trying to remember the name of something which I know is on your site, Besan patties things in curry gravy, could you let me know what they are called please. Now its getting colder I really fancy something like that.
pinkmacaroon
Registered

Postby chools » September 14th, 2010, 7:50 pm

Mamta wrote:I am just wondering how well the ground rice held together without the dal and how difficult was it to make?

:D I have to admit that it was tricky to make the dosas Mamta, the first one went to feed the birds (in bits). I managed to spread the mixture OK into a cool pan, but the really difficult task was turning them over, they just seemed to stick to whatever implement I tried, and weren't very firm, anyhow, managed to make 3 OK. Its always nice to try new food

KrC

PS - it took me some 10 years to master making dosas so I'm very patient!
Last edited by chools on September 14th, 2010, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chools

Postby Hope » September 15th, 2010, 11:14 am

Mamta/Chools can you recommend an easy dosa recipe for a novice? (gluten free, yeast free, gram flour/chick pea free!)
Hope
Registered

Postby jasmin3 » September 15th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Hope wrote:easy dosa recipe for a novice? (gluten free, yeast free, gram flour/chick pea free!)

And tapioca free & largely vegan (can have egg-white! :D ). Thank you. :D
jasmin3
Registered

Postby chools » September 15th, 2010, 7:57 pm

Tempeh stew & dumplings, steamed cabbage & kale, mashed potatoes. Its been blowing a gale here for a while with lashings or rain so it seems appropriate to cook some comfort food
chools

Postby Breadandwine » September 15th, 2010, 9:21 pm

I made seitan cutlets (and another chunk to cook with later) from some leftover green lentil curry. I had it with the last of the bubble and squeak from Sunday and a couple of new potatoes that needed using up, which I sliced and fried. Oh, and I finished off the spicy tomato sauce.

Blitzed the curry - to which I added more flavour (stock powder, mushroom sauce, curry paste, mixed herbs) and added the gluten powder, kneaded briefly, divided into two pieces (putting one away for later), divided the other piece in two and stretched them both out into cutlets which I fried for 5-6 minutes each side.

Yesterday I had a pizza from the freezer. I have to force myself to use pizzas from the freezer - once I've made it and frozen it, I seem to lose interest! :?

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby jasmin3 » September 15th, 2010, 9:35 pm

Just made & eaten quite a nice risotto. :) Brown rice (obviously! :lol: ) mixed into saute of onions, garlic, orange pepper, mushrooms, cashews, raisins, tinned peas, tinned carrots (had opened the tins yesterday, so need to eat them up), marmite, chilli powder. Have had to cool down tomorrow's portion quickly & put it in the fridge, so I'm not tempted to eat it now! :lol: (Otherwise I won't have any lunch for tomorrow! :cry: )

I don't subscribe to risottos that are cooked till the rice is gooey - I like mine to still have a bite to it, so I tend just to cook normal rice & stir it in.
jasmin3
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 16th, 2010, 1:56 am

I really fancied a biryani this evening. I took some bits out of the fridge (cabbage, carrots, a couple of peppers, ginger, onion, garlic) and whipped up.....

The very worst Indian meal I've made for ages :o :o :? :?
I don't know where I went wrong, but the sauce was completely awful, tasteless and unappetising!
Perhaps I wasn't concentrating :oops: :oops:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Monnikka » September 16th, 2010, 6:46 am

When we were in Exeter recently I had the worst Indian meal I've ever had but have put it down the choosing the wrong dishes. There were hardly any that we recognised so I went for Palak Kootu and tarka dal. Both were uttterly, utterly tasteless! I could detect no spice whatsoever and felt very down in the mouth :( For the first time I wished we had stayed and had the hotel offerings of mushroom Wellington. OH had chosen something else (I forget the name) which he said was tasty - a curry surrounding a mound of rice placed on a poppadum, but he was as depressed as me because of my poor experience :luv:
Monnikka
Registered

Postby chools » September 16th, 2010, 7:11 am

Monnikka wrote:I had the worst Indian meal I've ever had

Sorry to hear that Monnikka, we once had our usual Indian takeaway whereby it seemed as though the person that put the spices into dishes was on holiday, I wish the salt & sugar chef would take a very long break, it would make their dishes so much nicer <IMO>!
At least the amount of oil seems to have decreased over the years, an oily dish was once seen as a sign of wealth
I can understand you trying to escape the hotels mushroom Wellington though!

KrC
chools

Postby Mamta » September 16th, 2010, 7:40 am

I am so sorry to hear that Monnikka .They should explain each of their dish in English, so people can mke an informed choice. When you go out to eat and some idiot serves you bad food, it ruins the whole evening.
Just as a 'Good Food Guide', there should be a 'BAD Food Guide' too!
Mamta
Registered

Postby chools » September 16th, 2010, 8:22 am

Mamta wrote:'BAD Food Guide' too!

I often take a peek in 'Trip Advisor' but appreciate that it's limited in the number of reviews, although it did once save me from staying in a hotel that had a beautiful web site but a terrible reputation

KrC
chools

Postby Fiona » September 16th, 2010, 10:31 am

Well by ten this morning I had made ten large portions of Quorn and mixed bean Jalfrezi for the freezer, perfect for when son comes in from school and (despite having had something like a full roast meal at school at lunchtime, with dessert) needs to eat NOW! I serve it on rice or pasta or lefover mash - anything that can be hot and on the table in the time it takes him to change out of his uniform!

Am going to do a big bubble and squeak type thing for tonight, lots of roast veggies inc butternut squash, leeks, shredded sprouts, carrots, onions and garlic etc, mixed with bashed spuds (not mashed thoroughly just, well, bashed about a bit! Drizzled with garlic oil and baked and served with fried eggs on top! Sometimes I put cubes of chorizo in too.

Will do a batch of chilli tomorrow (veggie mince - nobody notices and it means I enjoy it too!) and also a huge beef stew in the slow cooker. All will be portioned up and frozen.

Off to get hair done and then out for lunch with the ladies that do so!

Fiona :)
Fiona
Registered

Postby chools » September 16th, 2010, 11:47 am

Fiona wrote:also a huge beef stew

I hope that is a 'veggie' beef stew then Fiona :lol:

After writing about them last night I will be cooking masala dosas later

KrC
chools

Postby tezza » September 16th, 2010, 12:09 pm

I cooked it last night but I am eating leftovers for lunch today. Chunks of tofu which I kind of steamed on top of a bed of sliced mushrooms, with garlic slithers tucked into little slices in the tofu. (thanks for that idea chools, it's :chops:) I mixed in a small tube of lemon grass & coconut stir fry paste, added par cooked broccoli, beansprouts and lots of coriander.

I must remember to load up on mints before I head into a meeting at 2pm or my colleagues are going to love me. :oops:
tezza
Registered

Postby Fiona » September 16th, 2010, 12:10 pm

Actually no! Its a beef stew made from cows! I realise its a bit out of place on this thread, it was an afterthought really!

Fiona
Registered

Postby chools » September 16th, 2010, 12:22 pm

tezza wrote:I must remember to load up on mints before I head into a meeting at 2pm or my colleagues are going to love me.

Stole your line for a 'garlic breath' post :)

Your lunch sounds nice

KrC
chools

Postby Monnikka » September 16th, 2010, 1:15 pm

chools wrote:Tempeh stew & dumplings, steamed cabbage & kale, mashed potatoes. Its been blowing a gale here for a while with lashings or rain so it seems appropriate to cook some comfort food

Given me inspiration for a meal on Saturday when we have son no.1 and latest GF.

We have also had cold blustery rain this week but the wind has let up a bit now and with it the rain.

Today I did simple stir fry veggies with tofu which I'd prepared earlier, coconut milk and noodles.

Tomorrow we have a gas man calling to fit a new gas fire so lunch might be a 'scratch' do with something cooked in the evening.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Hope » September 16th, 2010, 6:02 pm

lunch was saute potatoes, fried mushrooms and tomatoes and 2 fried eggs.

dinner stir fry with rice. leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.
Hope
Registered

Postby jasmin3 » September 16th, 2010, 9:30 pm

Lentil soup (red lentils, carrots, potatoes, green beans, turmeric, chilli powder) & cornbread (polenta, rice flour, marg).

Made the cornbread mix a bit wetter this evening (by mistake), so cooked it slower at a lower heat & it was much lighter than normal :) , so I'll do it that way again. :)
jasmin3
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » September 16th, 2010, 10:06 pm

For breakfast I had half a dozen sourdough fruit pikelets. I've just begun a sourdough starter, and since you're required to throw away half of it every now and again, I've used the discarded bit to make pikelets:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=643&hilit=pikelets

My discard consisted of 55g of wholemeal flour and 110g of water, to which I added a heaped dessertspoon of white flour and 50g of sultanas.

I left them overnight and made them this morning. It made 8 small ones, 6 of which were sufficient for my breakfast (with homemade marmalade). I've just finished off the other two.

For dinner, my wife made me a spicy vegetable stew, some of which I had with pasta.

I'm just about to have some more for supper! :chops:

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby chools » September 17th, 2010, 3:02 pm

I was all set to do something fancy but by the time I did some housework and lit the fire I've decided upon a tapas type meal... potatas bravas, spinach & chickpeas, french beans with tomatoes. Hot and spicy to combat the howling gale that is blowing outside, I've just seen a poor sparrow blown off the feeder outside the kitchen window
chools

Postby Hope » September 17th, 2010, 3:55 pm

It's been rather nice here today. I planned to cook a butternut squash, courgette and green bean curry tonight, but due to lack of time, we're having frozen homemade leftovers curry.

I did however make a lemon drizzle cake that smells divine!
Hope
Registered

Postby Mamta » September 17th, 2010, 4:04 pm

Looks like everyone here has more curries than me ;-)! I will make a naan pizza tonight and eat it with a salad.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Fiona » September 18th, 2010, 2:41 pm

Made a big pan of chunky leek and lentil soup to have for tea tonight with homemade bread, a batch of spiced carrot and garlic chutney, and a batch of Suelle's chewy American cookies.

Fiona
Registered

Postby wildfruitbat » September 18th, 2010, 3:25 pm

Making "Italian Pork Sausage stew" tonight. Except obviously I will substitute veggie sausage. I have some Vegideli ones that I have not tried before, but look the biz. DH thinks celery may give him stomach ache, so I am substituting a green pepper. I have no cabbage as called for in the recipe, so am using some chard from the garden instead. I have just checked the cupboard and have no haricot beans, so will use black eye ones instead. (They will cook quicker anyway). Thyme? May or may not have some in the garden. So am I making Italian Pork Sausage stew - or Something Else? :lol:
wildfruitbat
Registered

Postby chools » September 18th, 2010, 3:33 pm

Just in from watching this year's Camanachd Cup, frozen despite the many layers of clothing and sitting in the stand, vegetable soup followed by roast pumpkin
chools

Postby Breadandwine » September 18th, 2010, 7:05 pm

Lunch was a couple of cheese and tomato sizzlers I made in my first breadmaking session this morning. (Using Scheese.)

For dinner I had leftover bolognaise sauce in a bread bowl, baked in my chiminea, which I had with oven chips - also done (in a cast-iron frying pan) on the chiminea.

I'll post about this on the chiminea thread - and also on the leftover bolognaise sauce thread.

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby jasmin3 » September 18th, 2010, 8:27 pm

Nice quick & easy stir-fry tonight: 1 packet marinated tofu (yum! :D ), 1/2 packet rice noodles with spring onions, 1/2 packet stir-fry veg (cabbage, edamame beans, carrots, red peppers), tamari. Can't really say it was cooked - just tossed together in a frying pan! :lol: With Colchagua Valley Shiraz-Rose - reduced by a couple of pounds, but not as nice as some roses I normally buy at the same price without being reduced! :cry:
jasmin3
Registered

Postby chools » September 19th, 2010, 9:41 am

Breakfast. I'm guilty of often not putting much time nor thought into breakfast so I really appreciate the times I do. Today I made Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes from the book 'Vegan Brunch' for the first time and can only say they were delicious and worth the effort.

The mixture can be made the night before but usually I really don't know what I want for breakfast until the morning itself. Despite their 'brunch' tag they would be nice at any mealtime
chools

Postby Hope » September 19th, 2010, 1:37 pm

I had my usual breakfast (gluten free muesli and flakes) I need to eat almost as soon as I get up, so can't be messing around with cookimg before I'm awake!)

lunch was GF spaghetti (must remember to buy some more!) with sauteed homegrown green beans and courgettes, pesto, grated cheese, and quorn chunks. Other than the quorn (which I'm not too keen on, but it's cheap protein!) it was rather lovely.

dinner will be roast new potatoes, veggie sausages, roast butternut squash, green beans, carrrots and sweetcorn.
Hope
Registered

Postby Monnikka » September 19th, 2010, 1:48 pm

Yesterday I made a vegetable stew with dumplings.

Today we were out all morning but I got back in time to bake a nut roast I'd prepared yesterday, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, broccoli and gravy.

Now I'm full as an egg! :lol:
Monnikka
Registered

Postby chools » September 19th, 2010, 9:23 pm

Hope wrote:so can't be messing around with cookimg before I'm awake!

Would that be 'sleep cooking' :lol:

Avocado (salsa), beetroot, and hummus topped jacket potatoes for tea

KrC
chools

PreviousNext

Return to The Veggie Place