[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Wildfood.info • View topic - What have you cooked veggie today?

What have you cooked veggie today?

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Re: What have you cooked veggie today?

Postby chools » October 4th, 2010, 8:02 am

Tofu with a mirin, tamari, & fresh ginger dip, and a taro leaf stir fry with noodles
chools

Postby Hope » October 4th, 2010, 9:18 am

Hope
Registered

Postby Monnikka » October 4th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Yesterday I made a big pot of mixed vegetable soup with haricot beans. It was substantial and tasty. Today I added a dollop of pesto to it and it was even better. Later I will turn the leftovers into seitan sausages.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » October 4th, 2010, 6:17 pm

I'm still wondering what on earth I'm going to have for lunch.... I think something pasta-shaped might work.
If I leave it too much longer, it'll turn into tea. :shock: :shock:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby chools » October 4th, 2010, 7:03 pm

Roasted pumpkin & ginger, puy lentils with garlic & onion, baked potato
chools

Postby tezza » October 4th, 2010, 7:52 pm

I did a selection of veggies in our steamer and added Oriental marinated cubes of tofu to the top tier. The veg were all delicious but the tofu was flabby as was to be expected but I didn't enjoy it all that much. Next time I'm cooking more cauliflower as I just realised how much I love the stuff. :chops:
tezza
Registered

Postby Hope » October 5th, 2010, 3:08 pm

I've made a gingerbread cake, which is rather lovely. (I *had* to try a bit!)

And I've also made some pastry to make a couple of quiches (for the freezer) and some cheese straws for DS, but I've not got any further with it as I ran out of time before I had to go and collect him from preschool. I'll finish them tomorrow morning.

Later I'll be cooking risotto/paella with courgette (probably the last of the homegrown ones), green beans, carrot and broccoli, with tofu nuggets.
Hope
Registered

Postby chools » October 5th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Reworked some leftovers from last night :)

Puy dal, pumkin, tomato, & coconut poriyal, potato, onion, & pea kotas
chools

Postby Monnikka » October 6th, 2010, 1:24 pm

OH tells me he is guaranteed a 'different' meal from me most days ;)

Today I served Taifun curry-coco falafel and with it did stir-fried onion, garlic, sugar snaps, baby corn, ginger, chilli, coconut milk and lime zest. All on basmati rice flavoured with chilli, coriander and mint.

Strange but true! It went well together :P
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Hope » October 6th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Sounds nice Monnikka!

So far I've made two leek, spinach and tomato (slightly shruken) quiches! A batch of cheese straws, which smell lovely, but wheat, so I can't have. And I've covered some thickish slices of tofu into a yoghurt and spice tandori-style paste to marinade. I'll shallow fry those later (I hope it works - bit of an experiment!) and serve with spicy roast potato cubes, sweetcorn and whatever other veg I can find in the fridge.
Hope
Registered

Postby chools » October 7th, 2010, 8:18 am

It was one of those meals put together without too much thought but worked out OK :)

Marinaded tofu slices: pressed plain tofu (marinade = tamari, sesame oil, rice vinegar) pieces then rolled in a mixture of maize flour and sesame seeds, fried with finely sliced: green chilli, ginger, and garlic

Cauliflower in a soya sauce

Jacket potato
chools

Postby Breadandwine » October 8th, 2010, 7:40 pm

Yesterday my wife made me a vegetable pasta sauce - which I had with s;paghetti.

Today I added r-k-beans and seitan, plus curry paste - and had it with rice.

Deelish!
Breadmaking is an easy, everyday activity - not some difficult art form!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/
Breadandwine
Registered

Postby chools » October 8th, 2010, 8:09 pm

Mysore bonda's with a broccoli dal and brown rice
chools

Postby karadekoolaid » October 8th, 2010, 11:00 pm

In a distinctly Indian mood today. A tarka daal with lemon and cinnamon, fried cauliflower & peppers with kalonji and black mustard seeds, and an aubergine "pakora" made with besan flour and whole wheat flour. Plus a healthy blob of my own Brinjal Pickle.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Monnikka » October 9th, 2010, 2:22 pm

How did you make your cauliflower dish karadekoolaid (how the hell do you say that?????)

I have a cauli which I intend using as a side dish rather than in a main and want something to brighten it up.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby chools » October 9th, 2010, 2:41 pm

OH is cooking Japanese dishes today. My contribution is the tempura with the recipe from Vegan Yum Yum's site :)

Last edited by chools on October 9th, 2010, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chools

Postby Monnikka » October 9th, 2010, 2:45 pm

Monnikka
Registered

Postby chools » October 9th, 2010, 2:59 pm

Last edited by chools on October 9th, 2010, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chools

Postby Monnikka » October 9th, 2010, 3:13 pm

Monnikka
Registered

Postby Mamta » October 9th, 2010, 5:10 pm

I haven't cooked anything today, but had;
Besan chillas (Bengal Gram) flour pancakes with pickles for breakfast
Mung dal, aubergine bhurta, okra bhaji, chapatties, yoghurt, rice, mix salad for lunch
Colocasia curry, aloo gobhi and plain parathas for dinner. + Whole wheat flour Burfi (kind of fudge)
I am eating too much, have to cut down from tomorrow!
Mamta
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » October 9th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Now repeat, Monnika, with mouthful of peanuts :lol: :lol: :lol:
'ere's the recipe:
4 tbsps oil
1 tsp kalonji seeds
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp fenugreek
4 dried red chillies ( I used two fresh)
1 small cauliflower cut into florets
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 small green pepper, cut into small squares.
Heat the oil and briefly fry the spices and chiles, then add the cauli and salt. Lower the heat a bit and stir-fry for about 6-7 minutes, until the veg begins to brown. Now aded the green pepper and stir fry for another 3-4 minutes.

Hope you enjoy it!!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Monnikka » October 10th, 2010, 6:46 am

Monnikka
Registered

Postby Monnikka » October 10th, 2010, 1:39 pm

Today I served (rather large) homemade spicy seitan sausages with cubes of new potato and butternut squash pan-'roasted' with onion, garlic, cumin seed and chilli flakes and a little salt. I threw in a couple of handfuls of shredded baby greens (spring greens?) stirred through and put on the lid for a minute or two before serving. :chops:
Monnikka
Registered

Postby chools » October 10th, 2010, 2:46 pm

OH is chef for today, but I'm gnashing at my chopping board as a new cook book arrived yesterday, beautifully produced - Sukham Ayu

Sample recipe and description here:

http://tiny.cc/uaxt1qcim2

PS. I wonder if Karra will become Carla? :D
chools

Postby Hope » October 10th, 2010, 4:04 pm

Too much cooking. so tired!

You can see what I cooked yesterday on my indian cooking question thread on the kitchen bit.

today we're having roast homegrown potatoes and squash, steamed sprouts (first for the season), carrots and homegrown french beans with veggie sausages. It seems weird have french beans and sprouts in the same meal!

I'm also cooking some extra sprouts and spuds to make bubble and squeak on tuesday for my lunch. And roasting some extra squash to make risotto on tuesday evening and some squash and ricotta pasties (I got a tub of ricotta really cheap because it was about to go out of date). Tomorrow my lunch will be leftovers from yesterday's indian feast and dinner will probably be pasta.

One day soon I'll take a break from cooking!
Hope
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » October 10th, 2010, 4:20 pm

--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby karadekoolaid » October 11th, 2010, 1:01 am

YMCA veg today:
potatoes, cauliflower & peas, Maharashtra style (thanks to Madhur)
Spicy tarka dal
Mixed veg pakoras
Pullao rice with dried fruit

Washed down, unashamedly, with a glass of last night's carmenère!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby chools » October 11th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Vegetable lasagne tonight (spinach & tomato) with steamed broccoli. I was on veg prep as OH has a sore arm :(

Chopped a red onion and had my first really bad onion tears for ages, no idea as to why
chools

Postby Breadandwine » October 11th, 2010, 10:32 pm

My wife made a hearty tomato based sauce - with loads of marrow and most of a packet of spinach which my daughter had left in the fridge from last week!

I accompanied it with fried polenta, which I'm a bit ambivalent about.

It was OK, but no more than that.

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Hope » October 12th, 2010, 3:25 pm

Hope
Registered

Postby chools » October 12th, 2010, 3:33 pm

A vegan clear soup (enough for two days)
chools

Postby Monnikka » October 12th, 2010, 6:07 pm

Today I made and we had tarka dal, cauliflower in spiced coconut sauce, butternut and onion bhaji.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Mamta » October 13th, 2010, 7:21 am

You guys cook such gourmet dishes everyday!
Today, I had porridge and a slice of toast with sliced, spicy-pan-fried aubergines on top, with cold coffee.
Lunch is Traka (all dls are tarka dals, as far as Indians are concerned) Masoor dal (Puy), Spicy Karela bhaji, caulifower bhaji, Indian salad, yoghurt, rice and fresh chapatties, none of which I cooked myself.
Dinner; don't know yet!
I tend to eat more when someone else is cooking, so will have to go on a massive dieting soon!
Mamta
Registered

Postby Mamta » October 13th, 2010, 7:23 am

Sorry, put it on the wrong thread, it should be on what are you eating today thread!
Mamta
Registered

Postby Fiona » October 14th, 2010, 4:50 pm

Someone somewhere on this board posted a HFW recipe for stuffed squash which I adapted as follows;

I split a large (washed) butternut squash in half lengthways and scooped out seeds and fluffiness.
Then I put a minced/chopped clove of garlic in the hollow in each half and a big knob of butter, drizzled with a little olive oil and sprinkled with pepper, popped them in oven to roast.
Meanwhile, into a bowl I put a few chopped olives, bits of peppers from a jar, finely chopped Jarlesburg, chopped shallots, spoon of pesto from a jar, small tin of rinsed butterbeans, some smoked paprika (basically, anything you have in the fridge can be chopped and added here!)
When the squash was tender, tip the garlic and butter into the bowl, scooped in the flesh too, retained the skins.
Gave it a thorough mix and heaped it back into the skins, sprinkled grated Parmesan on to and back in the oven till golden and crisp.

Quite utterly sublime! Skins are not only edible but delish.

It's going on my 'regulars' list and I might do it for a ladies' pre-Xmas veggie lunch I am hosting.

Fiona :)
Fiona
Registered

Postby chools » October 14th, 2010, 5:14 pm

Cauliflower in a coconut sauce with green chilli, garlic, and ginger. Chickpeas with tomato & onion reduction. Roasted garim masala potatoes
chools

Postby Monnikka » October 14th, 2010, 5:46 pm

Monnikka
Registered

Postby tezza » October 14th, 2010, 6:17 pm

tezza
Registered

Postby Hope » October 14th, 2010, 6:36 pm

yesterday we had veggie sausages, spicy roast potato and sweet potato cubes and various steamed veg (corn, carrots, brocolli, sprouts). (good idea about garam masala spuds Chools, I shall have to steal that one!)

today my lunch was leftover potatoes, baked beans and scrambled egg.

dinner was stir fry of carrots, broc, sprouts, green pepper and chard stalks, with onion, garlic, ginger, fresh chilli and tarami. Oh and tofu. With brown rice noodles. Not very filling, still hungry even after a cake!

Fiona - I'm going to have to try that, it sounds gorgeous. But the BNS we have right now is far too big! And next time I roast some I'll leave the skin on (saves me peeling!)
Hope
Registered

Postby chools » October 14th, 2010, 6:58 pm

chools

Postby tezza » October 14th, 2010, 7:18 pm

Thanks for that chools. Two of my favourite ingredients and I have never thought to serve them up simply together like this.

I will have to keep an eye out for coconut milk powder. I didn't know it existed. OH hates coconut so when I cook with coconut just for me a whole tin is far too much.

Tonight's dinner ended up being a Linda McCartney sausage, cooked in the oven until lightly done and still quite soft, served in a piece of baguette with ketchup & egg free mayo with a leafy salad on the side. Quite nice.
tezza
Registered

Postby Jaybird » October 14th, 2010, 9:49 pm

Dinner: did a mixed vegetable stew with pearl barley and buckwheat. Also cooked a big tray of mixed vegetables with herbs, garlic and salt & pepper to use over the next couple of days in sandwiches and on baked potatoes.
Jaybird
Registered

Postby Monnikka » October 15th, 2010, 1:46 pm

Cubes of tofu fried until coloured and seasoned with S&P, removed from the pan with a slotted spoon and tossed in nooch. Returned to the pan and fried again, removed and popped in a hot oven to crisp up. These were served with stir-fried onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and assorted veg seasoned with soy sauce on purchased (Amoy) Singapore noodles.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » October 15th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Last edited by ianinfrance on October 15th, 2010, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correcting the quotes
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » October 16th, 2010, 3:02 am

Clive's Instant Peanut Sauce with Pasta.
Take one huge dollop of peanut butter (you can use fresh peanuts if you're not an idle sod like me), add anything vaguely oriental ( soy sauce, tau si, sesame oil, lemon grass, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar), chiles, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, coriander and onion.
Stick everything in a blender and blitz for a minute . Heat.
Meanwhile, prepare pasta of choice - mine is usually rice vermicelli or mung bean vermicelli .
It took me no longer than 10 minutes to prepare!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Monnikka » October 16th, 2010, 12:59 pm

That sounds right up my street, Clive.

I'll probably use noodles in place of (Italian) pasta because I'm so in love with them :luv:
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Monnikka » October 16th, 2010, 5:40 pm

'Mediterranean stew' - Onions, garlic, celery, red pepper, hot paprika, tomatoes, sliced carrots stewed together slowly, chickpeas and salt added.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » October 16th, 2010, 7:19 pm

I haven't had lentils for a while, now, so tonight I made a lentil curry using Mamta's recipe, loosely.

We had the remains of a fortnight old cabbage that I nearly threw out - but I'm very glad I included it. Lentils and cabbage go so well together. We've also been given a third of a large marrow to use up, so I included a chunk of that. Also threw in a few other veggies past their sell-by date in the fridge.

We gave the fridge a good clear-out today - this turned up a can of V8 which I'd always been reluctant to get rid of. It was dated Sep 2006, but was in perfect condition and formed the basis for the stock.

All in all, one of those meals you eat slower and slower towards the end, since you don't want it to finish.

Luckily I only used up about a third of the pan! :D

(Can't wait for supper-time! :hungry: )

Cheers,Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Monnikka » October 17th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Today I did 'Braised Seitan with onion and mushroom gravy' - my own invention :D

I had already defrosted a piece of seitan 3"x3"x2" which I cut into 6 3" slices.

In a large pan I melted a good knob of butter then fried 1 large sliced onion. As it began to soften I added 250grm punnet of chestnut mushrooms, chopped.

When the mushrooms had wilted I turned up the heat to evaporate the juices and brown the onions and mushrooms a little. This was spooned onto a plate.

I seasoned 1 1/2 tbs of flour. I dipped the seitan into the milk and then the flour and fried on both sides until browned. Sprinkled the remaining flour into the pan and stirred and returned the onion mixture. Just covered with water and brought to the boil, stirring. Stirred in 1 tsp Marmite, black pepper and 1 dsp herbes de Provencal. Cook for 20 minutes, taste for seasoning and serve with mashed potato and green vegetables.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby chools » October 17th, 2010, 2:20 pm

We've been for what will probably be the last harvest of this season's chanterelles (frosts will kill them off) Stopped when I had a large bag full, most I will hang by the wood burner to dry. Also picked some brambles.

Tea will be: a wild mushroom mousse, purple sprouting broccoli, and fir apple potatoes, followed by an apple & bramble crumble
Last edited by chools on October 20th, 2010, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
chools

PreviousNext

Return to The Veggie Place