What have you cooked veggie today?

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Re: What have you cooked veggie today?

Postby Fiona » October 19th, 2010, 9:20 am

There is a fund raising dinner coming up, I have pulled together a table of ten friends so have been in charge of getting their payments and distributing their tickets. I am not vegetarian, although I love veggie food and when its done well, it can be so tasty and imaginative. So I asked the organisers if there would be a vegetarian option and she said " oh yes of course, its salmon" This seems always to be the case, and it drives me mad! On the occasions when I have pointed out that vegetarians dont eat fish I have been (grudgingly) been given red onion and goats cheese tart. I hate goats cheese! Now for me who could eat the beef wellington or whatever it will be thats the standard choice at the dinner, its not so bad, but for people that actually are vegetarian it must be infuriating! I sympathise with you!

Fiona :)
Fiona
Registered

Postby chools » October 19th, 2010, 10:16 am

Fiona wrote: I love veggie food and when its done well, it can be so tasty and imaginative

You're right Fiona, I've sometimes found that as well :lol:

KrC
chools

Postby Hope » October 19th, 2010, 11:23 am

Fiona wrote:it must be infuriating!

oh believe me it is! I hate that people think vegetarians eat fish. we don't. Pescatarians eat fish and not meat. And what would they give vegans? The veggie option always seems to have cheese in it. Either that, or it's just veg and carbs (where's the protein?!) Vegetarian food can be tasty and imaginative, but so often it isn't, when done by restaurants and caterers. If I see another menu with veg lasagne or pasta with tomato sauce on it, I may scream! Especially as I can't even eat either of those.

I tend to just eat at home mostly these days!
Hope
Registered

Postby Fiona » October 19th, 2010, 11:28 am

chools wrote:
Fiona wrote: I love veggie food and when its done well, it can be so tasty and imaginative

You're right Fiona, I've sometimes found that as well :lol:

KrC

Sorry chools, that came out a bit wrong!

Yes Hope,
I think eating in is the new eating out!
Fiona :)
Fiona
Registered

Postby chools » October 19th, 2010, 12:49 pm

Squash, apple, and fresh ginger as a soup for lunch
chools

Postby tezza » October 19th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Tonight I made one of those 'throw it all together and see how it turns out' soups.

Sweated an onion, then in with garlic, ground ginger, cumin, chilli powder, black mustard seeds, chopped parsnip, curry leaves and a cinnamon stick. Covered with stock and simmered until tender, then removed the cinnamon stick, pureed the soup, added a tin of coconut milk and some tinned, drained green lentils. Some chopped coriander and a splash of lemon juice finished the dish. All washed down with a slice of granary. Delicious. :chops: And plenty leftover for lunches this week and some for the freezer too. :D
tezza
Registered

Postby chools » October 19th, 2010, 7:40 pm

That sounds nice Tezza and not a million miles from an Indian stew I make and serve with gram flour dumplings and coriander pesto!

A very cold northerly wind has been biting at me everytime I stepped out of the door today, and to make matters worse I decided to go to the Post Office just before the heaven's opened and I got pelted with hail stones

So... it seemed a comfort tea was needed (at least I needed comforting!) veggie sausages in batter, mash, gravy, and steamed veg
chools

Postby tezza » October 19th, 2010, 8:45 pm

Yum, those gram flour dumpling sound like a welcome addition to an already comforting soup chools. I was thinking as I ate it that something a little on the stodgy side floating around in there would have been good.

chools wrote:So... it seemed a comfort tea was needed (at least I needed comforting!) veggie sausages in batter, mash, gravy, and steamed veg

Now why haven't I ever thought of battering a veggie sausage before? A firm favourite in my far and distant meat eating days. I can't think of anything nicer to come home to after being peltered by the elements. :chops:
tezza
Registered

Postby chools » October 19th, 2010, 9:11 pm

Oops poor description on my part, what I ate was more of a vegan batter pudding (Yorkshire pudding/Toad in the hole?) rather than something dipped in a batter and deep fried Tezza (sorry to shatter the illusion :( ). I've never had a 'battered sausage of any kind, nor a deep fried Mars bar for that matter before anyone chips that stereotypical one in :lol:

KrC
chools

Postby Hope » October 20th, 2010, 10:31 am

Chools - you've reminded me I keep meaning to do veggie toad in the hole, although I'd do them individually so as not to muddle up the different sausages (my GF ones are too expensive for DH and DS to have!)

So far all I've cooked today are some black eyed beans. I'm planning on making something along the lines of African-style refried beans with them for dinner. I'm still working it out in my head. With chips (well, white potato, sweet potato and squash oven chips, possibly spicy) and steamed veg. I need to mull it all over a bit more first.

And I need to make a cake (lemon and orange drizzle cake - it's supposed to be only lemon, but I only have one lemon and it needs two, so I'll use an orange as well!) And possibly the gluten-free yeast-free bread recipe I've found, which I can bake with the chips later, just to be super energy efficient, being as it seems to be a bit of a theme today!
Hope
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 20th, 2010, 10:59 am

wild mushroom mouse

i thought his was the veggie board! :lol:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby chools » October 20th, 2010, 11:12 am

WWordsworth wrote:wild mushroom mouse

i thought his was the veggie board!

Glad to see someone is on the ball and proof reading what I write - now edited to moose :lol: (not really)

KrC
chools

Postby chools » October 20th, 2010, 5:43 pm

I adapted/stole from this recipe today:

http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/herby-tomato-quiche/

Rather than tomatoes I used spinach, onion, as well as a few chickpeas in the filling with garam masala for flavouring. It was OK but a little heavy, but I'm not really used to pastry these days. Served with a squash, fresh ginger, onions, parsley, and tomato dish, along with some potatoes that had been cooked in a little bouillon
chools

Postby tezza » October 20th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Ooh that's a yummy looking vegan quiche chools. I am not normally a pastry eater, find it too rich and unnecessary, but sometimes really fancy some so will try this one next time I find I am out of Linda McCartney country pies. :hungry:

Tonight I made up a packet of Granose nut roast mix, used it to stuff two giant field mushrooms, which are currently doing their thing in the oven. To go with that I am having steamed broccoli & leeks and a mushroom & sherry sauce that I made when I got home from work. The house smells amazing! Well it does to mushroom lovers anyway. Myself included. :)
tezza
Registered

Postby chools » October 20th, 2010, 8:02 pm

tezza wrote: The house smells amazing! Well it does to mushroom lovers anyway.

Can match the smell Tezza, I have several strings of chanterelles drying beside the fire :D
chools

Postby tezza » October 20th, 2010, 8:04 pm

chools wrote:
tezza wrote: The house smells amazing! Well it does to mushroom lovers anyway.

Can match the smell Tezza, I have several strings of chanterelles drying beside the fire :D

:chops: Oh how I long for smelly-internet-vision right now. :D
tezza
Registered

Postby chools » October 21st, 2010, 5:57 pm

Smoked tofu rice, cauliflower with fresh ginger, crispy seaweed (I made it with spring greens)
chools

Postby Hope » October 22nd, 2010, 9:25 am

The refried beans thing I made the other day needs a bit of work! I had leftovers from that meal for lunch yesterday. And dinner was based on this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/gnocc ... eric_85614 I added chunky mushrooms, squash and parsnip to the sauce. Put it in a dish, put the gnocchi on top and sprinkled cheese over and baked in the oven as I've always found that works better than poaching homemade gnocchi. Leftovers for lunch again. And tonight we're having squash and cauliflower curry with rice, Mamta's sag dal (with homegrown chard) and onion bhajis. Or maybe cauli and onion bhajis.

Chools - I do envy you for your wild mushrooms. I've been scouring the woods for some near us, but I'm never going to find chanterelles. I did find some ink caps, which are edible, as long as you don't drink alcohol, but I'm too scared, just in case I've got it wrong, especially with DS!
Hope
Registered

Postby chools » October 22nd, 2010, 9:30 am

Hope wrote:Chools - I do envy you for your wild mushrooms. I've been scouring the woods for some near us, but I'm never going to find chanterelles. I did find some ink caps, which are edible, as long as you don't drink alcohol, but I'm too scared, just in case I've got it wrong, especially with DS!

We are nervous (as a nation) about eating wild mushrooms, and despite collecting chanterelles I would put myself in that boat, for to date they are the only mushroom I have collected. Dried they are a wonderful resource as just a few pieces can impart lovely flavour to any dish

KrC
chools

Postby Hope » October 22nd, 2010, 3:22 pm

Hope wrote:Mamta's sag dal

scrapped that off the menu as I found a pot of frozen dal in the freezer. I need to make room and spend less on food, so we'll be having that!
Hope
Registered

Postby chools » October 22nd, 2010, 3:46 pm

Thanks for the inspiration Hope, you've jolted my memory as I too have some dal in the freezer and I always think making an Indian when you already have the dal made is an 'easy' to do meal :D
chools

Postby ianinfrance » October 22nd, 2010, 6:24 pm

Hope wrote: I did find some ink caps, which are edible, as long as you don't drink alcohol,
Well, that's sort of half right. The shaggy ink cap doesn't contain the alcohol antagonist in any significant quantities and I've quite often drunk a little wine with it, though I can well understand that you want to be careful.

However the one that contains the antagonist is another of the same family called the "smooth ink cap"
Image and even that is actually fine, as long no alcohol comes any where near it.

I had the luck to find some of the shaggy ink cap the other day and was able to make a little serving to eat on toast, to show our guests what it tastes like.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Monnikka » October 22nd, 2010, 6:26 pm

I made Fiona's version of JO's stuffed butternut squash. Just happened to have everything I needed in except the cheese and popped out for some hard goat's cheese. It was a bit of an afterthought so the squash was too hot to handle because I didn't have time to let it cool and then I tore the skin rather badly when I was scooping out the flesh. Lost my cool :evil: and dumped the skin in the bin and piled the 'filling' into an oven-proof dish. Returned it to the oven. 15 minutes late for lunch already. Finally dished up and it was very enjoyable. OH loved it and I promised to start earlier next time 8-)
Monnikka
Registered

Postby chools » October 22nd, 2010, 6:46 pm

Prompted by the reminder of dal in the freezer I cooked a spring green & pea curry, beetroot curry, rice, and ponganalus. I hadn't quite ground a new garam masala enough so OH & I were picking out small pieces of cinnamon bark (can't get the staff these days!)
chools

Postby Hope » October 22nd, 2010, 6:55 pm

Ian - they were definitely the shaggy ones we saw. Being as we're a tee-total house, it doesn't really matter that much anyway! Maybe I'll get some. Although I bet the frost has killed them. There were loads, so at least I'll know for next year!

Our dinner turned out rather nice in the end. I sort of made Clive's aloo gobi recipe from my thread about cauliflower, but used squash and parsnip instead of spuds. Then towards the end I realised I was already using my dal-sized saucepan to cook the rice, so I dumped the dal in with the curry and cooked it all together. It was very nice! I also put some cauli in the onion bhajis and DS actually ate one!!!! :D DH thought the bhajis were lovely too. It seems we might be beginning to like cauliflower! I'm still stuffed, two hours later!

Chools - I didn't know what ponganalus was, so googled it, and this was one of the pages that came up! viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1334&p=34859 I really should try to remember things!
Last edited by Hope on October 22nd, 2010, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope
Registered

Postby tezza » October 22nd, 2010, 7:00 pm

We are actually having an Indian takeaway this evening as it is pay day. :hungry: Vegetable jalfrezi (vindaloo hot), chana bhoona (vindaloo hot), paratha and I will share some mushroom rice with OH.

To wind down after a busy week I donned my pinny this evening and made a batch of mixed veg piccalilli to go into some Christmas hampers I have planned to give out a gifts. In the pickle are chopped courgette, cucumber, cauliflower, celery, shallots, sliced chillies and whole garlic cloves. I made enough to keep some for me to be used up in vegan cheese sandwiches. :chops:

Even on takeaway night I still feel the need to :chef:
tezza
Registered

Postby chools » October 22nd, 2010, 8:52 pm

Hope wrote:Chools - I didn't know what ponganalus was, so googled it, and this was one of the pages that came up! viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1334&p=34859 I really should try to remember things!
Last edited by chools on October 22nd, 2010, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chools

Postby chools » October 22nd, 2010, 8:53 pm

Hope wrote:Chools - I didn't know what ponganalus was, so googled it, and this was one of the pages that came up! viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1334&p=34859 I really should try to remember things!

If you ever get the chance buy an ableskiver pan, they are so useful for cooking many veggie items

KrC
chools

Postby Mamta » October 23rd, 2010, 5:49 am

Chools, since you make these Poganalus (Guliappa, Gulittu, Gundponglu, Gunta Pangana Paniyaram Pongadalu Pongala) regularly, which combination is the best tasting in your view. I was thinking of making them for a party in a couple of weeks, not sure which way to go :? I was wondering about a onion and spinach or onion and methi leaves version, but I am not sure.
Mamta
Registered

Postby chools » October 23rd, 2010, 11:50 am

Hi Mamta,

The favourite filling here is to add red onion and green chilli (a mix of). I have also tried various other veg and also spices but the ones with the onion/chilli mix are my favourite.

They would certainly make a very good party food, just a question of making enough!

KrC
chools

Postby tezza » October 23rd, 2010, 3:06 pm

After an energetic swim this afternoon I came home hungry and found a ramekin of split pea pate at the back of the fridge, basically tinned pease pudding mixed with salad cream and chilli sauce until smooth. I smeared some onto a slice of white bread and dribbled with some homemade brown sauce. Although by no means gourmet, it certainly hit the spot.
tezza
Registered

Postby Hope » October 23rd, 2010, 4:27 pm

The plan for today was to bake a gluten-free sugar-free corruption of Mary Berry's apple and almond cake in the afternoon before cooking dinner (roast root veg and tofu with pasta). But after MIL left it was 4 and so too late for the cake, so I'll do that tomorrow.

The beetroot, parsnip, butternut squash and sweet potato are roasting in the oven currently. I'll have to add the tofu shortly, along with some lemon juice and herbs of some sort (probably basil and rosemary. Although the rosemary means going outside, so it might not happen!) Then cook the pasta. Hopefully that'll be ok! I'm feeling a bit too tired for cooking now. Although I'm definitely looking forward to the eating part!
Hope
Registered

Postby Mamta » October 23rd, 2010, 4:50 pm

Thanks Chools. Numbers is not a problem, I will make them in advance. Another thought in my head is to make green banana kebas/tikki/cutlets, cooked in the Appe pan, so that they are small and can be served as finger foods. Something like this; http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_dis ... p?id=10342
I want to change the menu slightly this time from the usual stuff.
Mamta
Registered

Postby tezza » October 23rd, 2010, 5:13 pm

Later on I am having leftover vegetable jalfrezi from our Indian takeaway last night with a little chana bhoona. I was just going to cook up some plain rice or have with flat bread but instead I really fancied roast potatoes, so have par boiled spuds dressed with oil, dried chilli, cumin seed and a little salt which I will roast while I cook some dry spiced savoy cabbage in the wok with lots of garlic, chilli & fresh coriander. :chops:
tezza
Registered

Postby chools » October 23rd, 2010, 5:44 pm

Mamta wrote:Another thought in my head is to make green banana kebas/tikki/cutlets, cooked in the Appe pan, so that they are small and can be served as finger foods. Something like this; http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_dis ... p?id=10342
I want to change the menu slightly this time from the usual stuff.

My only near disaster filling Mamta was when I had the bright idea of using small tomatoes I had from the garden for the filling, as you bit in the tomato exploded all over you, I won't be doing that again in a hurry!

Your green bananas sound nice, and yes it is good to make some changes, mind you, I hope my guests like their potato burgers tomorrow (Wadas!), I'm also having a sprouted salad with it, and my take on an Indian style apple crumble (suitable for diabetics)

KrC
chools

Postby karadekoolaid » October 23rd, 2010, 11:10 pm

That recipe sounds delightful,Mamta!Will have to give that a go when the first hand of bananas appears on our banana tree (or bush, or shrub, or what ever it's called!!)
I won't be doing it tomorrow, however, because I've got another Indian Food Course to give at lunch time.
I'll be doing a mint & tamarind chutney with my (split green pea) Vadas, as well as a potato and tomato tarkari, with coconut; a Punjabi Brinjal Masala, some absolutely wildly invented-on-the-spot lentils and a couple of little salads (raita and kachumbar).
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Mamta » October 24th, 2010, 4:24 am

as you bit in the tomato exploded all over you

LOL!!
Green banana cutlets are nice, much nicer that potatoes alone. You can make bondas as well with the same mix.
Indian style crumble? Tell me more.
Your teaching menu sounds delicious karadekoolaid.
Mamta
Registered

Postby chools » October 24th, 2010, 7:21 pm

Guests for a lunch of Wada Pav (Indian potato burger with 3 chutneys) and a mixed sprouted bean salad

The 'Indian' style crumble became very simple, eating apples stewed in a little orange juice with cardamom, topped with chopped roasted almonds, served with oat cream (in truth I took too many almonds out of the freezer as I was going to roast some oats as well for the topping!)

Green bananas, I'll maybe look out for them when we travel to Edinburgh for a food foray soon

KrC
chools

Postby karadekoolaid » October 25th, 2010, 12:16 am

Your teaching menu sounds delicious karadekoolaid.

Thank you, Mamta. I'm always a little apprehensive about my menus, and wonder from time to time that perhaps they're cobbled together rather than "planned". Never mind - today's course involved 8 wonderful ladies who asked so many questions , my head is still spinning :scared: :D :D .

The vadas, for those who have never tried them, are the very best thing since chips. I make mine from split green peas and they never fail to please. The tamarind mint chutney is extraordinarily good (all blitzed together in a blender). I've discovered that, if I prepare the vada paste, then briefly fry them until they form a nice round ball, then I can remove them from the oil, drain and freeze. Re-fried, they're absolutely guaranteed to win you some Oohs and Aahs!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Mamta » October 25th, 2010, 5:18 am

karadekoolaid, refrying makes the vadas/pakoras absorb more oil. Wouldn't it make more sense to freeze you dal batter and fry them fresh?
I love vadas too, more so the crispy, hot ones, with a few green chillies/onions/ginger/curry leaves etc. added to the batter, served with green and tamarind chutney, than the ones soaked in a yoghurt sauce (dahi vada), like they are usually eaten in northern India. I make mine usually with mung dal or a mix of mung and urad dal.
Mamta
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » October 25th, 2010, 9:40 am

karadekoolaid, refrying makes the vadas/pakoras absorb more oil. Wouldn't it make more sense to freeze you dal batter and fry them fresh?

You're absolutely right, Mamta, but I think it all comes down to laziness! Defreeze the vada batter, then roll up the little balls to fry is far more work than simply popping a ready made ball into hot fat :o :o
Yesterday, for example, I (re)fried about 40 vadas in the wok whilst I was finishing off the rice. If I'd had to actually make the vadas, the rice would have had to wait.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby chools » October 26th, 2010, 4:59 pm

Aloo Gobi ke Parathe, chana dal, purple sprouting broccoli curry
Last edited by chools on October 27th, 2010, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
chools

Postby Hope » October 27th, 2010, 6:34 am

yesterday was a stir fry with what was in the veg drawer. i meant to buy some mushrooms, but forgot as we didn't go out. so it was onion, ginger, chili powder, tamari, carrot, courgette and green beans (those 3 homegrown) anbd the last of the cauliflower. with egg fried brown rice. and rather good it was!

as it's the end of the month and the freezer is packed again, we'll be having a few days of eating out the freezer, so no cooking for me!
Hope
Registered

Postby Monnikka » October 27th, 2010, 6:46 am

Root vegetable, black bean and puy lentil stew with dumplings :chops:

The day before it was spaghetti bolognaise with chopped black olives and the rest of a jar of bottled roast peppers sliced and stirred in.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby chools » October 27th, 2010, 7:51 am

Monnikka wrote:Root vegetable, black bean and puy lentil stew with dumplings

That sounds like a really nice winters rib sticker dish Monnikka :D

KrC
chools

Postby chools » November 1st, 2010, 9:26 am

Did we all stop eating (or cooking!) :D

Vegetable spring rolls, made with filo pastry for a change, pumpkin with onion, ginger, and miso, tofu marinaded then coated and cooked in panko breadcrumbs
chools

Postby Mamta » November 1st, 2010, 10:06 am

Chools, it looks like you spend a lot of time in your kitchen every day! That is a time consuming menu. :hungry:
Mamta
Registered

Postby chools » November 1st, 2010, 10:28 am

Mamta wrote:it looks like you spend a lot of time in your kitchen every day!

We've turned the clock back and made our kitchen into a living room as well, just need the bed in there now, and we can close down the rest of the house :lol:

OH & I do cook a lot, just about every meal is made from scratch, and cooking starts every morning when we grind coffee beans. Maybe one day we'll get into chilled and frozen meals and sit with our feet up :D
chools

Postby Hope » November 1st, 2010, 11:50 am

chools wrote:Did we all stop eating (or cooking!) :D

Never the former, but I have the latter, sort of. Using up frozen leftovers for a few days.

But on saturday I made another apple and almond cake because the first was so lovely!

yesterday dinner was roast spuds, roast parsnip, veggie sausage and steamed veg.

Today my lunch is a sort of indian-style bubble and squeak stew thing. Leftover potato and other veg from yesterday with chick peas and various spices. I hope the chick peas are nice to me! I'm not sure if I didn't put enough spice in or if it's just that my cold is blanketing out all flavour! Still it's warm and filling.
Hope
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 1st, 2010, 1:00 pm

I hope the chick peas are nice to me!

If you add a roast cumin and asafoetida 'tarka' most beans and lentils will be a bit 'nicer' to you :-).
Mamta
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Veggie Place