[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Wildfood.info • View topic - What have you cooked veggie today?

What have you cooked veggie today?

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Re: What have you cooked veggie today?

Postby Hope » November 1st, 2010, 1:04 pm

thanks Mamta. I did put some cumin in it (because I love it) which I started off in the pan first. I haven't got any asafoetida because I can't find it (although I keep forgetting to go to the shop that probably has it!)
Hope
Registered

Postby chools » November 1st, 2010, 1:19 pm

Pumpkin soup for lunch. Added some yellow miso which made it quite tasty
chools

Postby tezza » November 1st, 2010, 7:52 pm

tezza
Registered

Postby chools » November 1st, 2010, 8:07 pm

Tea was a bit of a dash in the end as someone has recently acquired a duet piano stool which he decided to start re upholstering post work!

So... tempeh stew with ginger dumplings, steamed broccoli and carrot, mashed potatoes into which chef started pouring 'sweet' soya milk :terrified: but managed to recover them OK :D
chools

Postby Breadandwine » November 2nd, 2010, 12:59 am

Looks like the time on this forum hasn't changed - chools' post was timed at 9.07 and it's still only 8.18 now.

I've been away on a walking weekend, staying at Hay-on-Wye.

For my evening meals I took a casserole dish full of veg curry, which I froze and wrapped in newspaper (to make it easier to carry).

For breakfast I'd cooked up 4 Linda Mac's sausages and had a couple of those with some baked beans.

For a packed lunch on the Saturday I'd made a rolled filled pizza with s-d-toms, peppers, mushrooms and nutritional yeast as a filling, with a curried bread wrap.

Lunch at the pub was fried mushrooms with beans and chips.

Tonight I made a socca with a curried lentil filling and B&S.

Cheers, Paul

Ps. Forgot to hit submit! :oops:
Breadmaking is an easy, everyday activity - not some difficult art form!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/
Breadandwine
Registered

Postby chools » November 2nd, 2010, 8:58 am

chools

Postby Breadandwine » November 2nd, 2010, 10:19 am

The weather was brilliant, Jules, thanks! And we covered just over 20 miles all told.

I haven't tried the pot in the oven - it was just that I thought a casserole dish would be easier to carry about.

I'll report back once I've used in the oven.

I like a bit of spice in my beans, but I've more or less given up asking them to be curried. Nowadays I mix freshly ground black pepper and cayenne pepper and carry a little pot around with me. I can spice up a meal in seconds! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby chools » November 2nd, 2010, 10:32 am

Your small pot of spices sounds like a brilliant idea Paul, only one step away from taking your own beans :?

Having being served beans for many a meal I have become quite a bean spotter, and can now easily tell if they've been sat in a pot for a day, or cooked freshly for my order

I'm always interested (but sometimes dismayed) when I strip away items from an all day breakfast dish to make it veggie/vegan to see as to what they will serve me. It stretches from mountains of beans, tomato, and mushroom to a small nouvelle cuisine speck in the corner of the plate :lol:

KrC
chools

Postby Mamta » November 2nd, 2010, 11:29 am

Last edited by Mamta on November 2nd, 2010, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Hope » November 2nd, 2010, 12:36 pm

lunch today is (currently eating, while typing this and also watching Jamie Olivier from last night online, so it's a total food fest here!) soup (a little bit of spicy mixed veg and a little Mamta's spicy courgette soup - I freeze my soups in ice cubes trays), with quinoa, chick peas and some of yesterday's left over pasta sauce. It's quite thick and more like rissotto than soup!

dinner will be pasta (gluten free spaghetti for me, normal penne for DS and stuffed pasta because it was in the freezer for DH!) with tomato, tofu and mushroom sauce. (as long as I get to tescos later!)

Argh - it's veg lasagna but JO's put anchovies in it.
Hope
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 2nd, 2010, 4:57 pm

Last edited by ianinfrance on November 2nd, 2010, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby chools » November 2nd, 2010, 8:26 pm

Inspired by a Mamta comment I made a pizza, wheat and maize flour mix. Onion, garlic, yeast flakes and tomato sauce, with red peppers, green chilli, and olive topping. Green salad from the garden, leaves are still surprisingly good despite a frost or two, and caramelised squash with chipotle chillies
chools

Postby Breadandwine » November 2nd, 2010, 8:59 pm

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 2nd, 2010, 9:37 pm

Paul,

Your strong feelings about vegetarianism have, I fear, discoloured your memory - and your judgement.

The recipe was for "Vegetable Lasagne" it wasn't and didn't claim to be either vegetarian or vegan. So your basic thesis is faulty.

As for what it looked like, don't tell me that the presence of a little anchovy changed the LOOK of the dish, I've rarely heard anything so biased in all my life.

As for "vegetable lasagne with added anchovies", that's as silly a suggestion as I've read for a long time. You don't need to say "Fish pie with added eggs and vegetables" or "Steak and kidney pie with added vegetables" The only reason for doing as you suggest is a kind of vegetarian sectarianism. GRRRR.
--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby chools » November 2nd, 2010, 9:55 pm

"The Veggie Place
For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types"

From what I've read two people expressed their dislike of Jamie Oliver using anchovies in his vegetable lasagne. As this is the 'veggie' section of Wildfood could their views not at least be respected? They as vegetarians/vegans found the inclusion of the fish upsetting. I've not seen the program and have a profound dislike of most celebrity chefs including Jamie Oliver, but I hear what they are saying

KrC
chools

Postby Breadandwine » November 2nd, 2010, 10:27 pm

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 2nd, 2010, 10:40 pm

--
All the best
Ian

ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Breadandwine » November 2nd, 2010, 11:35 pm

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » November 3rd, 2010, 12:10 am

Tonight I was, believe it or not, looking for a vegan lasagne recipe when I came across a comment by JRC who said something like, 'Pies. Bob loves pies' And at that moment, I wanted a pie!

So I made one using a bread dough containing stock powder, curry powder and s-d-tomato oil. The filling was a veg stew with red kidney beans, black-eyed beans and potatoes.

I had half the pie with some broccoli - and I'm trying hard not to munch on the remaining half.

I took a couple of pics which I'll post when I get round to it.

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » November 3rd, 2010, 12:14 am

Nothing objective will be achieved by bickering about semantics. If Jamie was daft enough to put anchovies in a "Veggie" lasagna, then it's obviously not vegetarian; however, a "vegetable" lasagna could feasibly contain an anchovy or two as the title could perfectly describe a dish which contains mainly veg. It's akin to having a "Bachelor Party" - so if I'm married, I can't go?? Or a "Health Food restaurant". Define "Health Food" !
I've heard both Jamie and Gordon Ramsey tell us to remove the seeds from chiles, because that's the hot bit - absolutely false! TV chefs are human just like we are, and their researchers can and will make mistakes. In other words, let's have a little tolerance.
Nor will anything positive be gained if the "veggie and vegan" section is limited to veggies and vegans. There are lots of omnivores out there who love vegetables and who can make excellent contributions to the board. Isolationism would only contribute to tunnel vision.

So again,

A Cyber-handshake and retire to one's respective corners.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » November 3rd, 2010, 1:20 am

Hi Clive!

You're quite right. Life's too short, eh? :D

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Monnikka » November 3rd, 2010, 7:48 am

I don't want to prolong the lasagne discussion unnessarily but JO added chicken stock early in the making of his lasagne saying as he did so, something to the effect that 'you can use vegetable stock if you're vegetarian'. And that was why I was so horrified when he added the anchovies. Perhaps he should have given an alternative for the anchovies (a little olive paste?).

Oops! Consider me out of order :oops: I didn't realise the thread carried on to another page and that a line had been drawn under it.
Last edited by Monnikka on November 3rd, 2010, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby chools » November 3rd, 2010, 8:31 am

chools

Postby Mamta » November 3rd, 2010, 9:48 am

Mamta
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » November 3rd, 2010, 9:51 am

karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby chools » November 3rd, 2010, 9:56 am

chools

Postby chools » November 3rd, 2010, 10:29 am

chools

Postby Hope » November 3rd, 2010, 1:28 pm

today's lunch was inspired by JO's potato and feta salad thing. I boiled bite-sized cubes of potato, sweet potato, squash and parsnip until soft. I meant to squash them a bit with a masher, but forgot as I was so hungry. And mixed with chopped feta, fresh tomatoes, raw red cabbage and butter beans and some pesto.

It was just lovely! I want more (although I am stuffed!)

dinner will be stir fry with pak choi, mushrooms, red cabbage, courgette and carrot (I think), and tofu with egg fried rice. And I'll make extras for my lunch tomorrow.

Got to make a cake at some point too. probably gingerbread cake.
Hope
Registered

Postby tezza » November 3rd, 2010, 8:56 pm

This evening I had McSween's veggie haggis with steamed cabbage, sprouts, carrots & broccoli, a small jacket spud and some mushroom sauce. Enough leftovers to have a small mouthful before bed :oops: and then lunch tomorrow at work. :hungry:
tezza
Registered

Postby chools » November 3rd, 2010, 9:01 pm

Dal (out the freezer), bean sprout stir fry, cauliflower pakoras, brown rice - all prepared and cooked in 35 minutes <phew>
chools

Postby Hope » November 4th, 2010, 10:20 am

Tonight we'll be having mushrooms stuffed with feta, fresh tomatoes, olives, garlic and basil. I might put some breadcrumbs on top of DH's too. The mushrooms were inspired by the stuffed mushroom thread, so thanks for that. (And they were on special offer!) with roasted potato, sweet potato and squash cubes, probably with some rosemary and maybe garlic. With steamed broccoli, romanesco cauliflower and carrots. And probably some red cabbage stewed in apple juice and cinnamon.

Good lord that sounds like a lot! :scared:

I love this board! I've really got out of my cooking rut thanks to you guys! :hug: :luv: :D
Hope
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 4th, 2010, 12:23 pm

Well, it is Diwali tomorrow, so have done some preperation and a tiny bit of cooking. It is going to be mainly vegetarian affair.
For toady, we will have Poha, a flattened rice dish, for lunch and some fish dish I still have to concoct in the evening!
Mamta
Registered

Postby Monnikka » November 4th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Today I defrosted some seitan I'd made from a base of leftover bolognaise sauce, then cubed it. Next I made a 'Mediterranean stew' of onion, red pepper, celery, mushroom and carrot, all diced. This was sauteed in olive oil with a spoonful of herbes de Provence and about six or eight black olives, chopped. Finally I added a small can of chopped tomatoes, a squirt of tomato paste, s&p and the seitan then simmered for 20-30 minutes. Served over rice, there is plenty left for tomorrow.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Hope » November 4th, 2010, 5:27 pm

Bit of a change of plan. Mushrooms still mostly the same, but with some veggie parmesan on top. I'm only roasting sweet potato and squash as by the time I sorted out those I realised I'd done enough (and my hand hurt from peeling too much!) All that with steamed brocolli, roman cauli and red cabbage in JO's tomato sauce thing from last night's meal. I will try the apple red cabbage thing, but I wasn't sure in the end if it'd go with the mushrooms.
Hope
Registered

Postby chools » November 4th, 2010, 8:04 pm

The day started with baking my sour dough bread that hadn't worked out, but I know the birds won't mind a seasonal brick to chew on :lol:

Tea was fried onion, cumin seeds, and spinach. Tinned cherry tomatoes (decided the fresh season has well and truly finished if you want flavour) with some sprouted mung beans, green chilli, garlic, and fresh ginger plus some five spice. Banjo'd potatoes layered with onion, and a little bouillon and yeast flakes over the top and cooked in a low oven

In the veg box today we've got the first of this season's parsnips, so the 'roots' have started :)
chools

Postby Hope » November 5th, 2010, 11:19 am

Chools - Banjo's potatoes? what's that?

Happy Diwali Mamta!
Hope
Registered

Postby chools » November 5th, 2010, 11:30 am

chools

Postby Mamta » November 5th, 2010, 12:35 pm

Mamta
Registered

Postby chools » November 5th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Thank you for the greeting Mamta, I wish you and your family a happy Diwali

The arrival of our veg box yesterday sees the first 'neep' of the season, so as a celebration meal this evening it will be: McSweens veggie haggis, mashed potatoes and neeps, served with a white onion sauce (not very Indian I'm afraid :roll: ).

I will light a few candles this evening and think about Diwali, and try and forget that I was awoken by fireworks going off at midnight <grr>

Here is a photo I have taken, my cousin made the corner cabinet as a wedding present for us many Diwali's ago :D

KrC
chools

Postby Monnikka » November 5th, 2010, 2:25 pm

Decided yesterday's leftovers were not quite enough so added 1 small can of red kidney beans, a tsp of chopped marjoram and some chilli flakes. Simmered for 10 minutes and added more tomato paste and a tbsp of water, simmered for 15 minutes and served.

We've had gardeners working on the garden today (in the pouring rain! One young lad had no coat and refused the offer of a wax jacket). They've been taking down some trees and overgrown shrubs and reducing the heights of others. I've tried not to watch as they trampled over some precious plants. At least they're mostly going dormant now.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 5th, 2010, 3:42 pm

Mamta
Registered

Postby Hope » November 5th, 2010, 4:09 pm

Thanks Mamta - and to you and your family too. I'll read the Diwali stories later. I'm fascinated by eastern religions.

Gorgeous picture Chools.

Tonight's dinner seems to be turning into curry with mushrooms, squash, romanesco cauli, broccoli, courgette and tomatoes. with basmati rice, onion bhajis and Clive's red cabbage dal. Good job I'm typing this now as it made me remember to get the yoghurt out of the freezer!

I'm now trying to work out tomorrow's meal. Any ideas welcome! I was thinking roast veg (fennel, courgette, flat mushrooms, beetroot, squash) and tofu but then I remembered I need to use the pak choi. So I was thinking of doing a sort of oriental marinade for the roast veg, but can't work out how to get the pak choi into it! Surely I can't roast that? We only just had a stir fry, so don't want to do that again.
Hope
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » November 5th, 2010, 8:48 pm

Wednesday for dinner I made a spicy lentil and potato pie using a bread dough.

Thursday my wife made a spicy veg stew which I had with the remaining half of the pie.

Tonight I added some red kidney beans and divided the leftover stew in two, blitzed half and made some seitan . From this I made two cutlets, one of which I had with the rest of the stew and some curried potato wedges, fried.

I've now got a cutlet left, which I'll have tomorrow sometime, and 250g of seitan, which I'll probably chop into small chunks and fry. This will form part of a chilli non carne sometime soon.

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby tezza » November 5th, 2010, 8:56 pm

I made a basic balti sauce that both me and OH could share this evening. Whilst I let him get on with a meaty curry I chose to combine my sauce with sauteed sliced onion and chestnut mushrooms, chick peas and coconut milk, lots of coriander too, and on the side had some dry spiced savoy cabbage with whole green bird's eye chillis. I mopped up the coconutty sauce with some seeded granary bread. Divine. :chops:
tezza
Registered

Postby tezza » November 5th, 2010, 9:02 pm

Meant to say, thanks for posting the link to the Diwali stories Mamta. Now that I live and work in a very multi cultural society this festival has for the first time in my life been drawn to my attention, so I will read up on it with interest. :)
tezza
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » November 6th, 2010, 2:33 am

Happy Diwali, Mamta, and to all those who celebrate the Festival of light!
Not around much this week thanks to two 3-day festivals / Christmas Bazaars.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » November 7th, 2010, 5:51 pm

Yesterday mushroom risotto with WI pepper sauce, fresh basil and a sprinkle of yeast flakes.

Had the leftovers for lunch - I spent some time kicking myself for picking at it last night, so there wasn't really enough.:(

Today we're having a roast dinner with stuffed mushrooms and spicy tomato sauce. One mushroom contains mushroom pate and vegan pesto, and the other has bourguinon paste - an impulse by from Sainsbug's yesterday. I sprinkled both with yeast flakes.

Not sure what else to do with the bourguinon paste, any ideas?

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Luca » November 7th, 2010, 6:00 pm

What is bourguignon paste?
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » November 7th, 2010, 6:09 pm

--
All the best
Ian

ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » November 7th, 2010, 6:16 pm

Interesting. I use Sainsbugs or one of the others for deliveries of water/soft drinks/washing powder etc and just logged into their site and was informed it was not found!

I imagine it's a red wine (V) based sauce with onions, garlic, tomatoes and possibly vegetarian bacon?
Luca
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Veggie Place