[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Wildfood.info • View topic - What have you cooked veggie today?

What have you cooked veggie today?

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Re: What have you cooked veggie today?

Postby Monnikka » September 2nd, 2010, 5:46 pm

Monnikka
Registered

Postby Monnikka » September 2nd, 2010, 5:50 pm

Out all morning so a quick lunch of Thai style stir-fry with onion, garlic, sugarsnaps, baby corn and edemame beans with noodles seasoned with Thai 7 spice and soy sauce. Oh, and half a tin of coconut milk.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby wildfruitbat » September 2nd, 2010, 7:05 pm

Well I think I have good news. Being totally exhausted (I popped into work on a "day off" and ended up constructing flat pack all day), I wanted a really quick lazy dinner. On the way home I bought some ready cut stir fry veg and a pack of Cauldron marinated tofu. I have just tasted the tofu and it is not bad at all. I reckon all our letters must have done some good. Still very small pieces, and still very gingery, but the horrid oiliness has gone, and the other peculiar flavour. Not a great tea, but ok for a once in a while emergency meal. Followed by fruit salad with berries that were knocked down to next to nothing as i was shopping so late.
Breackfast was porrige with cooked raspberries, lunch was left over homemade pizza and two white nectarines.
wildfruitbat
Registered

Postby chools » September 2nd, 2010, 7:06 pm

Gram & wheat flour pancakes stuffed with spinach, onion, and vegan cream cheese, green salad, steamed potatoes, and a large bowl of tomatoes from the garden
chools

Postby tezza » September 2nd, 2010, 7:30 pm

I cooked a warming veggie chilli using fresh naga chillies which I managed to get in Tesco, loads of mushrooms, broccoli, veggie mince from the freezer, kidney beans and a large handful of fresh coriander leaves. Eaten with a chunk of crusty bread.

My mouth is on fire! 8-)
tezza
Registered

Postby jasmin3 » September 2nd, 2010, 9:26 pm

jasmin3
Registered

Postby Hope » September 3rd, 2010, 10:04 am

Hope
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 3rd, 2010, 10:18 am

" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby jasmin3 » September 3rd, 2010, 11:14 am

Thanks for looking on the GF flour packets, anyway, Hope.
Last edited by jasmin3 on September 4th, 2010, 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jasmin3
Registered

Postby wildfruitbat » September 3rd, 2010, 6:09 pm

Last edited by wildfruitbat on September 3rd, 2010, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildfruitbat
Registered

Postby chools » September 3rd, 2010, 6:28 pm

Broad bean pate, Falafel (mashed the chick peas too much), pitta bread, green salad, and tomatoes
chools

Postby tezza » September 3rd, 2010, 7:03 pm

chools - I have never really been one for broad beans but my mouth watered at the thought of making broad bean pate. Would you mind sharing your recipe please? :chops:
tezza
Registered

Postby chools » September 3rd, 2010, 9:01 pm

chools

Postby Breadandwine » September 3rd, 2010, 11:15 pm

I made a green lentil spicy cottage pie tonight.

I did the usual, but then felt it just needed a little something - so in went a healthy dash of WI chilli sauce. Ah, that's much better! :luv:

I'd forgotten just how tasty the combination of lentils and mashed potato (to which I added nutritional yeast) is :chops: .

I've just had some for my supper with a glass of home-made red, and I'm resisting going back and warming some more through!

Cheers, Paul
Breadmaking is an easy, everyday activity - not some difficult art form!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/
Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Mamta » September 4th, 2010, 6:35 am

Mamta
Registered

Postby wildfruitbat » September 4th, 2010, 7:46 am

wildfruitbat
Registered

Postby Mamta » September 4th, 2010, 10:03 am

wildfruitbat, you can only drink one glass, may be a larger one, but that is it! I have to say that I do find it hard to drink wine every day, but medicine is medicine ;-), I shall get used to it!
Nothing on NHS I am afraid. I remember the days when we used to prescribe a pint of Guinness or a half bottle of Sanatogen for older folks in the wards, on the NHS! I am afraid it has all gone down the drain to buy things like expensive tea -trolleys :lol:!
Mamta
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 4th, 2010, 11:49 am

karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Mamta » September 4th, 2010, 7:57 pm

They were very nice karadekoolaid, two left over, come and get them :D .
This evening, it was Spinach saag
Stuffed Aubergines Bengali; http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_dis ... p?id=13079
Fresh runner beans and potato bhaji, both from my garden.
and
Freshly made tandoori roti.
Last edited by Mamta on September 4th, 2010, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » September 4th, 2010, 9:14 pm

There was some leftover spicy lentil stew, so I boiled up some more potatoes and made another cottage pie. This time, since I'm running low on nutritional yeast, I added a spoonful of Free and Easy cheese flavour sauce mix to the spuds.

I deliberately left a serving spoon sized portion on my plate so that I can fry it up for a bit of supper.

Does anyone else do that?

(Just worked it out that 100g of lentils plus a load of veggies translated into 2 main meals, 1 lunch and 2 suppers!) :chops:

Cheers, Paul

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby Mamta » September 5th, 2010, 5:42 am

You do make a few unusual things with lentils Paul!
Mamta
Registered

Postby chools » September 5th, 2010, 5:46 pm

Brunch was a variation on a sweet pancake recipe from 'Vegan Brunch' with fresh rasps from the garden

Cup of tea with some plums (from home) at Cawdor Castle gardens, and then tea was red quinoa & red onion, lightly fried courgettes with cumin, and a black eye pea & carrot salad with tahini/garlic dressing
chools

Postby sharond101 » September 6th, 2010, 4:20 pm

I have just made a vegetable strudel and it looks rather yummy...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16821385@N04/4964375400/
sharond101
Registered

Postby Monnikka » September 6th, 2010, 6:07 pm

Monnikka
Registered

Postby chools » September 6th, 2010, 6:11 pm

Last minute plan to have a picnic lunch here:

Veggie sausage rolls, tomatoes from the garden, packet of crisps, and first of this seasons apples

Tea was chanterelles on toast, broad beans and tomatoes, and hummus with olives
chools

Postby jasmin3 » September 6th, 2010, 11:17 pm

jasmin3
Registered

Postby Hope » September 8th, 2010, 7:30 am

Hope
Registered

Postby chools » September 8th, 2010, 8:14 am

Vegetable soup with barley for lunch, and then for tea I mixed chopped spinach with gram & rice flour + spices, added water, shaped into small burgers,and steamed for 20 minutes, then lightly fried (can't remember the name of this dish) served with cauliflower cooked in coconut, with onion, garlic, green chilli, and ginger, served with brown rice
chools

Postby jasmin3 » September 8th, 2010, 11:39 am

Thanks Hope. :)

Got a phone call just before 5pm yesterday & offered a second interview, so I must have done well the first time! :D 2nd interview is this afternoon. Never had a 2nd interview before, so I've been mugging up about the subject on the internet all morning! :lol:

Yesterday food (before I forget!):

brekkie: cornflakes, soya milk, banana
lunch: remains of lentil & veg pottage thingy from Mon (except I forgot it was reheating, so it was more pottage like than soup like! :lol: )
tea: pasta with saute of onion, garlic, orange pepper, mushrooms, cashew nuts, butter beans, chilli powder
snacks: banana, dates
jasmin3
Registered

Postby chools » September 8th, 2010, 12:06 pm

Good luck with the 2nd round Jasmin!

KrC
chools

Postby tezza » September 8th, 2010, 12:10 pm

tezza
Registered

Postby Monnikka » September 8th, 2010, 2:23 pm

Today I made a quick pea and tomato curry with tofu. It's very quick and easy, just the job when you have been out all morning keeping appointments. :chops:
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Hope » September 8th, 2010, 3:42 pm

Good luck Jasmin.

Today I've cooked, or am cooking rather, a lemon drizzle cake which DS helped me with. And got to start cooking dinner in a little while - garden risotto (courgette, of course, green beans, tomato and yellow beetroot) with tofu nuggets. mmmm.
Hope
Registered

Postby wildfruitbat » September 8th, 2010, 7:16 pm

wildfruitbat
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » September 8th, 2010, 8:15 pm

Yes, well done, Jasmin!

For lunch today I had a tomato and Sheese toastie - which was surprisingly good!

And tonight I made a pizza with roasted peppers, sun-dried tomatoes and Kalamata olives (big jar from Aldi - £1.49) and another filled pizza type thingy - don't know what to call it - filled with chopped polony, bottled mushrooms and grated Sheese.

Haven't tried that one yet. Started them off in my new outdoor oven - but still had to finish them off in the kitchen! :(

I need to fill the firebox up with more coals before I put the bread in next time.

Here are the latest pics:

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/2 ... today.html

Cheers, Paul
Last edited by Breadandwine on September 8th, 2010, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby jasmin3 » September 8th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Thanks, everyone. :) Turned out it wasn't a formal interview, but a "chat" with team members. I must say, the more they told me, the more I wanted the job - sounds like my ideal job :D so I really hope I get it. I find out on Friday. :)

Today I've had:
brekkie: cornflakes, banana, Kara coconut milk, as recommended by efcliz & patsyfagan - think I prefer soya milk, but it's a good way to get nut proteins, particularly when nuts are so expensive, so thanks for the recommendation, you two :)
lunch: GF pasta with olive oil, only - ran out of time! :(
tea: egg & chips :lol: - well, egg white scrambled with coconut milk & chips, but the difference is academic to this happy ex-vegan :lol: - going to try goat's cheese next :D
snacks: dates, nature valley granola bar, might have some pumpernickle toast in a bit, too :)
jasmin3
Registered

Postby Hope » September 9th, 2010, 9:12 am

Hope
Registered

Postby Fiona » September 9th, 2010, 9:25 am

Found a huge bag of ready washed and shredded leeks in the supermarket, still four days till use by date but reduced to 40p, so chopped them small, sauteed them in slightly garlicky butter, added lots of red lentils, black pepper, smoked paprika and homemade stock. Did not blend it so it was textured but not chunky, absolute heaven!

Fiona :)
Fiona
Registered

Postby chools » September 9th, 2010, 9:35 am

Broad bean, carrot, tomato, onion, garlic, and red lentil dish topped with mashed potato & crispy onion (inspired to try crispy onion by the postings) served with roasted cabbage which was a little chewy, not sure as to why :(
chools

Postby Monnikka » September 9th, 2010, 1:45 pm

Today I cooked the last of my seitan sausages (must make some more!) and bubble and squeak. It were gorgeous :lol: OH said it was inspired!
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » September 9th, 2010, 9:26 pm

Breadandwine
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 9th, 2010, 9:59 pm

Calzone is "shoe" in Italian, Hope. That explains the shape of the doubled-up pizza .

Now today I've been experimenting, because there's a "pasta" competition in one of the local newspapers which I want to enter.
And win, if I can!!
I wanted to make a tomato-based sauce, but slightly "piccante" , so I did this:
50 gms onion, sliced in half moons
1 clove garlic
50 gms finely sliced fennel
50 gms green bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
1 hot chile pepper,chopped
300 gms tomatoes (I used tinned)
2 tsps capers
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
Salt to taste
Olive oil
1 tbsp chopped parsley
4 basil leaves, minced

Heat the oil and add the garlic and onion. Cook for two minutes - just enough for the onion to wilt. Add the tomatoes and cook over fairly high heat to reduce the liquid a little. Now add the fennel, the green pepper, the chopped chile, the capers and the vinegar. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Taste for salt and add if necessary.Just before serving, stir in the fresh herbs. Sesrve with tagliatelle.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby jasmin3 » September 9th, 2010, 10:33 pm

Thanks Hope. :) I'll let you know tomorrow.

Had an odd day today, food-wise. The usual cornflakes for breakfast, but was at college today, so made a pate from kidney beans, tamari, chilli powder & sunflower oil to spread on ryvitas for lunch - it was ok, nothing special, but I started feeling 'odd' halfway through afternoon, hypo-ish, but not going into full-blown hypo symptoms. So don't know what was going on there.

When I got home, I felt the need for carbs so ate a bag of tortilla chips (probably not the best carb to choose, but that was the quickest to hand!) & started to feel a bit more human, so had my goats cheese on rice cakes (I'd planned to have the goats cheese at some point today, anyway, to see if I can eat it now). That went down well - they were Cornish goats & didn't seem to produce cheese that was as pongy as I remember it! :lol: - but I haven't been hungry since - that was at 6.30 & I haven't had any tea. No reaction, either. :D
jasmin3
Registered

Postby Hope » September 10th, 2010, 7:34 am

Paul - ah I see!

I always find goats cheese too pongy Jasmin. Where did you get the cheese from?

I might cook a quiche today, with homegrown courgettes, beetroot leaves and tomatoes, but it depends on what we do this afternoon and how much energy I have left! Dinner is curry out of the freezer (I need to clear some space for the soup!) but I'll make some onion bhajis to go with it (DS loves them, even though they are quite spicy!)
Hope
Registered

Postby jasmin3 » September 10th, 2010, 9:06 am

jasmin3
Registered

Postby Hope » September 10th, 2010, 11:43 am

Well presumably they can only produce it after having a kid, but I don't know how old that is for goats and what exactly tescos classes as being "young". Might be just a marketing ploy!

I just had a lovely lunch - 2 fried eggs, sauteed potatoes, fried tomatoes and mushrooms, and a bean burger. Looked like far too much. And now I feel like a total pig as I'm thinking what to eat next! (In my defence, I was out all morning without DS - he was at preschool - so I was walking much faster than I normally do!)
Hope
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 10th, 2010, 11:26 pm

When I got home, the only thing left in the fridge was some YMCA Aloo Gobi (Potato & Cauliflower) - so I whipped up a serving of rice with some courgettes & crookneck squash (convenient bits in the fridge), then fried some onion slices, a hot chile or three and sprinkled with Garam Masala. All mixed in with the rice and served with a pot of yoghurt!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Monnikka » September 11th, 2010, 6:54 am

Monnikka
Registered

Postby wildfruitbat » September 11th, 2010, 7:44 am

Last night we had smoked tofu in a polenta crust, home made wedge potatoes and peas. The tomato fairy had visited while I was at work and left a bag full on the doorstep. So I used some to try Mamta's tomato chutney. I had got hold of some fennel seeds. Absolutely delicious thank you. :hi5:
wildfruitbat
Registered

Postby chools » September 11th, 2010, 9:26 am

Fresh sweet corn kernels with chopped sugar snap peas and red chilli, mixed with gram & rice flour, made into small rounds with a chefs ring and cooked in a little oil (Note to self, must stop using so much gram flour!) served with steamed potatoes, green salad, and tomatoes.
chools

PreviousNext

Return to The Veggie Place