15 dishes from sweet potato

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

15 dishes from sweet potato

Postby Monnikka » September 26th, 2016, 6:40 am

Monnikka
Registered

Re: 15 dishes from sweet potato

Postby Rainbow » September 28th, 2016, 12:07 am

Thanks for that link, Monnikka. Lots of interesting ideas here :D
Rainbow
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 28th, 2016, 2:26 am

Super ideas here!
I`m a great fan of sweet potato.
Try any of the following:
1) Slice into thin strips and deep -fry. Makes a lovely accompaniment to any meal.
2) Cut into inch-thick cubes, poach for 8 minutes, drain, sprinkle with salt and panch puran ( or garam masala) as an appetizer or with cocktails.
3) Cook together with red lentils ( or toovar peas), onion,garlic and ginger. Add fresh tomatoes just before serving.
4) Roast with pumpkin, parsnips, onion and tomatoes. Blend to make a delicious soup.
5) Grate with onions and courgettes. Add garam masala and some besan ( chickpea) flour,form into little bhajis/pakoras
6) Same as (2) but serve with a lemony, spicy tomato salsa, for a tropical version of patatas bravas.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 28th, 2016, 8:55 am

Rather less than 15 for me as I'm not interested in the stodgy desserts but still some good ideas

Still use them mainly in mixed roasted veg and "orange soup" - sweet potato & butternut

Intrigued by the "sweet potato falafel" - not really falafel in my book, but the use of chickpea flour with the mashed sweet potato might make a nice nugget
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 30th, 2016, 11:32 am

On the internet I have seen sweet potato sliced like bread, toasted in a toaster and used like toast to top with an egg or other popular topping. I haven't got a toaster and have not got round to trying it under the grill. Has anyone tried it?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » September 30th, 2016, 11:55 am

I've seen that onFacebook , however am not convinced. I can't see how a toaster would cook the sweet potato enough. Parboiling it and maybe a quick griddle after that could work
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 30th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:I've seen that onFacebook , however am not convinced. I can't see how a toaster would cook the sweet potato enough. Parboiling it and maybe a quick griddle after that could work

The instructions say to put it back in and cook again and again until done
I think it would burn or squidge or both before it was done, on the other hand, might work really well on a George Foreman or simialr?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 30th, 2016, 1:26 pm

Hmmm, that makes it a bit laborious for a bit of toast doesn't it! I think you are right about the George Foreman, I think it would take ages in a normal toaster - and the juices would run too. Maybe roasted slices would work well if you planned ahead early enough.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » September 30th, 2016, 9:50 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:I've seen that onFacebook , however am not convinced. I can't see how a toaster would cook the sweet potato enough. Parboiling it and maybe a quick griddle after that could work

I saw it too and just thought by the time it was cooked it would start smoking and set the smoke alarm off. I wasn't convinced enough to try it
Catherine
Registered

Postby Luca » October 4th, 2016, 6:32 pm

I'm a novice with sweet potato but read a broth recipe recently which said it was a so called 'superfood' and of good benefit... The link appears to agree.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-fea ... MXlg1KU.97

Perhaps I should give it a go. I can't say I like it on its own particularly but will give a few recipes a shot.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby karadekoolaid » October 5th, 2016, 1:38 am

I think the claims that it`s a "superfood" might just be a little exaggerated, Luca; however, it is a potato, after all. Anything to do with potatoes HAS to be good!
Personally, I think something which offsets the natural sweetness works very well with "batata" - sweet potato.
Try it mixed with some spicy Spanish chorizo, as a tapa.
Or make a satisfying Indian Dal with onions, ginger, garlic, chiles - topped off with a spoonful of tamarind juice.
It works well in a veggie burger, too.

HEALTH WARNING:
Never, EVER prepare a sweet potato purée with marshmallows. EVER!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 5th, 2016, 7:15 am

karadekoolaid wrote:HEALTH WARNING: Never, EVER prepare a sweet potato purée with marshmallows. EVER!!

:sprout: :terrified: :mrgreen:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 5th, 2016, 9:34 am

Sweet potato is actually related to the morning glory flower (ipomoea) - the Latin name is ipomoea batata (batata being potato) but it is nto related to ordinary spuds or to the other solanaceae (tomatoes, peppers, aubergines)
I don't believe in "superfoods" it's a meaningless concept in my mind

However, sweet potatoes are nice for a change, being sweet they go particularly well with pork, they have less calories than spuds and more vitamins
I used to prefer the white fleshed ones but I now prefer the (more nutritious) orange ones, which are easier to find in the UK Spiced sweet potato wedges are a good place to start
Here's a picture of the NZ Kumara variety in flower, you can see the resemblance to morning glory

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Luca » October 5th, 2016, 5:18 pm

Great. Thanks both. I thinkmImwill make the tapas you suggest Clive.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 27th, 2016, 11:07 am

I like sweet potato and usually have one in the Veg box. They last for ages if you forget they are there ;) I parboil and then roast mine alongside 'proper' potatoes. I also sling them in soup with either BNS or Red Bell Peppers - delish ;) :)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Veggie Place