Jamie's Pistachio and Cranberry Nut Roast

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Jamie's Pistachio and Cranberry Nut Roast

Postby Monnikka » November 25th, 2016, 7:33 am

Monnikka
Registered

Re: Jamie's Pistachio and Cranberry Nut Roast

Postby scullion » November 25th, 2016, 2:18 pm

Nut roast is the vegetarian’s turkey; .. (is the first line of the recipe 'talk in').

you know what i hate? - it's when meat eaters make statements and generalisations about the things that vegetarians like to eat. an ex (male) chef i know, while cooking a cauliflower cheese (to accompany a roast dinner) once proudly announced that "vegetarians like that' i think i may have just pointed out that some don't. its like the only vegetarian options you seem to get in restaurants at the moment is the unimaginative risotto or goats cheese - boring or what‽ especially if you don't like either.
i didn't think that jamie oliver would be that dumb.
sorry, rant over. i may be being unfair to the recipe.
i'm not sure i'd base anything other than arancini on mushroom risotto, i think it could land up rather stodgy.

ps. it doesn't actually say that you mix the nuts into the mixture.
Last edited by scullion on November 25th, 2016, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 25th, 2016, 2:21 pm

scullion wrote:Nut roast is the vegetarian’s turkey; .. (is the first line of the recipe 'talk in').

Well, in my experience there are many omnivores who really are not keen on the standard white turkey, but that's all you get if you're eating out at many places at Christmas .............. so maybe Nut roast is the vegetarian's turkey after all? ;)
Last edited by suffolk on November 25th, 2016, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 25th, 2016, 2:26 pm

true, maybe the turkey haters can eat the nut roast instead.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 25th, 2016, 3:22 pm

That recipe is a bit puzzling to me
It contains a fair amount of cheese and 2 eggs
But apparently you can leave them out if you want a vegan versions
If you can leave them out, why are they in there? Will it hold together without the eggs ( I wouldn't think so)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 25th, 2016, 6:42 pm

scullion wrote:true, maybe the turkey haters can eat the nut roast instead.

A good nut roast is infinitely preferable to a not very good turkey.

However, a problem might arise if more than one or two omnivores preferred the nut roast - there may not be enough left for second helpings ........ omnivores could eat turkey if they were still hungry but veggies couldn't ... I have known veggies get slightly twitchy if the omnies start eating 'their' food :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 25th, 2016, 7:28 pm

suffolk wrote:
scullion wrote:true, maybe the turkey haters can eat the nut roast instead.

A good nut roast is infinitely preferable to a not very good turkey.

However, a problem might arise if more than one or two omnivores preferred the nut roast - there may not be enough left for second helpings ........ omnivores could eat turkey if they were still hungry but veggies couldn't ... I have known veggies get slightly twitchy if the omnies start eating 'their' food :lol:

if my memory serves me right i've never come across a good nut roast.

i have come across many, many omnivores who tuck in to the vegetarian option, at a 'do', to the point where i often wonder why the proportion of meat offered isn't swapped with that of the vegetarian choice.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 26th, 2016, 8:42 am

I can remember a couple of very good nut roasts - both eaten at friends homes back in the 70s/80s and I know I had the recipe for one of them and cooked it a few times, however that was in my previous existence and I don't think I still have the recipe. In fact I'm pretty sure I don't. I have a memory of a crunchy texture with Brazil nuts and celery amongst other things, lots of fresh parsley and other herbs, maybe lovage, and a slight yeasty marmitey tang. Maybe I will experiment ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Hope » November 26th, 2016, 10:23 am

But nut roast is the veggie equivalent of turkey. In that it's become a tradition. But just like turkey. not everyone likes it. We usually have a nut roast for xmas dinner. Possibly this one. Mushrooms work really well in nut roasts as they add lots of savoury flavour and moisture (to an otherwise often bland and dry thing!)

I hate cauliflower cheese. Hubby has said he would leave me if I ever served it for him (which is fine, because I wouldn't as I know how much he hates it!)

its like the only vegetarian options you seem to get in restaurants at the moment is the unimaginative risotto or goats cheese - boring or what‽ especially if you don't like either.

Or a pasta with tomato sauce (usually) or some quiche thing. But mostly what seems like just a whole load of veg (I love veg, but I don't want to just eat a plateful of veg). But i do tend to find that most restaurants don't provide for vegetarians with another dietary requirement. All the GF options contain meat!
Hope
Registered

Postby Hope » November 26th, 2016, 10:29 am

But what really gets me is when recipes are announced as the ultimate or indeed "best ever". You are bound to be disappointed, even if it is good, as that raises expectations far higher than is probably possible to achieve.
Hope
Registered

Postby Hope » November 26th, 2016, 10:35 am

Oh and "handfuls". My hands are tiny, much smaller than Jamie's, I'd imagine, so how do I measure that? Why can't they just weigh things and write a proper recipe?

It is quite possible that a lot of things annoy me! :rolleyes: :lol:
Hope
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 26th, 2016, 10:53 am

I thought it looked rather good.... :chops:

I love a really good nut roast (though I'm not a veggie). Mind you, I love cauliflower cheese too. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 26th, 2016, 3:28 pm

The only proper veggie I regularly eat out with fortunately likes aubergines, goats cheese and risotto, so she is not hard to feed, but the choice is not brilliant

And you can't please everyone
I once worked with a team that was 50% vegetarian, so when we had (delicious) buffet working lunches, we had a lot of veggie food and some nice fishy things too but one of the girls complained there was so much veggie food, why did they give us much more that 50% veg (and then fish which she wasn't mad about, fair enough)? I suggested that veggies ate no meat but omnivores ate vegetables so I couldn't see it as a problem. she replied "But I don't eat veggy-tubbles" I had to swallow hard not to say "So that is why you are stupid and sickly!" (she was both, in retrospect possibly gluten intolerant and living on meat and bread and butter)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 26th, 2016, 9:06 pm

Monnika - have you tried this recipe? It would be interesting to hear the verdict.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Monnikka » November 27th, 2016, 8:04 am

I haven't, but I thought it looked quite interesting. I think the cheese would give a good savoury flavour but I would omit the cranberries. Not keen on them.

We are not having a nut roast this year; we're having M&S Mushroom Wellington. In the new year I intend making Sarah Brown's Mushroom, Cashew and Parsnip roast. Our favourite and reliable.

If anyone does try it please give us an opinion?
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Catherine » November 28th, 2016, 2:03 pm

scullion wrote:if my memory serves me right i've never come across a good nut roast.

Gosh I have. A good nut roast can be delicious. I never choose turkey, I find it too dry and not enough flavour. I much prefer a good chicken
Catherine
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 30th, 2016, 1:47 pm

crunchy texture with Brazil nuts and celery amongst other things, lots of fresh parsley and other herbs, maybe lovage, and a slight yeasty marmitey tang

That may well be Crank's recipe, which would fit with the 1970s and 1980s.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 30th, 2016, 2:28 pm

I certainly had a Cranks recipe book back then so perhaps that's where it came from or was adapted from ... I no longer have it - think daughter took it to her first digs and from there goodness knows what happened to it. I have a Cranks Bible, but I don't use it as much as I used that first little paperback - it was the one by David Canter - maybe I'll have a search to see if that one's still available ........
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 30th, 2016, 3:33 pm

I've made the ring shaped one from Rose Elliott's Christmas book, thinking about it
I replaced the Marmite with vegetarian "oyster sauce" as I had anti Marmiters

I quite liked it
It's a make ahead recipe, and we did think freezing it and finishing cooking on the day worked well
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 30th, 2016, 4:35 pm

There's a vegetarian/vegan pithiviers recipe in December's issue of Waitrose's own Food magazine - it's filled with nuts, chickpeas, mushrooms and flavouring ingredients etc. It might appeal to anyone wanting a nut roast type of Christmas dish, but I wasn't convinced about the use of fruit in the recipe.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Monnikka » November 30th, 2016, 6:23 pm

Suelle wrote:There's a vegetarian/vegan pithiviers recipe in December's issue of Waitrose's own Food magazine - it's filled with nuts, chickpeas, mushrooms and flavouring ingredients etc. It might appeal to anyone wanting a nut roast type of Christmas dish, but I wasn't convinced about the use of fruit in the recipe.

That sounds good, Sue. Might pop into Waitrose for the magazine.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby scullion » November 30th, 2016, 7:26 pm

we're having this http://quotes-for-the-soul.tumblr.com/p ... s-from-the for christmas dinner - adapted, of course.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 30th, 2016, 7:46 pm

I love a pastilla - back in the days when we had a large turkey for Christmas day, pastilla was one of my regular dishes to make with the 'leftover' dark meat. The recipe I used to use (which I've since lost) had a sort of scrambled egg rather than hard boiled. It's such a shame I can't find that recipe - I've followed several others and tried to adapt them to fit my memory, but I've not quite hit on it ....... yet ..........

I do remember reading a recipe for a vegetable pastilla which had chunks of Crown Prince squash in it and I remember thinking that sounded really good. I wonder where I read it ......... :?
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 30th, 2016, 8:38 pm

I like the idea of p/bastille but can't cope with the usual sugar levels :sprout:

We had one in Marrakech that was lovingly and authentically made and to Anglo-French palates seriously unpleasant
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » December 1st, 2016, 12:13 am

i must say i decreased the honey by quite a bit and didn't sprinkle with icing sugar, so it wasn't really that sweet - just really scrummy.
scullion
Registered

Postby Hope » December 1st, 2016, 7:45 am

I've never heard of pastilla before. What are you putting in yours Scullion?

Can't think how to substitute filo pastry to make it gluten free. Well only very think pancakes, but I doubt that would have the same results.

Suelle, was it this in the waitrose magazine? https://www.waitrose.com/content/waitro ... al.A4.html
Hope
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 1st, 2016, 8:39 am

Not that one, Hope. I can't find it online yet and I don't know how far the website lags behind the published magazine. Might be a while before it gets online.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » December 1st, 2016, 9:07 am

Hope wrote:I've never heard of pastilla before. What are you putting in yours Scullion?

Can't think how to substitute filo pastry to make it gluten free.

what i did is on the 'cooked a new recipe' thread.
scullion
Registered

Return to The Veggie Place