Savoury Tatin

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Savoury Tatin

Postby Zosherooney » February 17th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Last sunday my oven went on and in the bake off was a mix of veg with a flaky pastry lid than went in the oven. It came out well and I was a little smug......

Went into John Lewis yesterday and blow me down...... they have copied my idea and already have it on the shelf..... in less than a week !!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Savoury Tatin

Postby StokeySue » February 17th, 2017, 6:56 pm

:lol: :lol:
I have made a version of Delia's Red Onion Tatin several times and must try the cheeses pastry some time, I've always used puff
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/french/red-onion-tarte-tatin
You really do need that many onions!

According to Ian it's only a Tatin if apple, as that's what the Tatin sisters made, anything else is a tarte renversee, an upside down tart

But I think he has lost that battle :D

Must make a proper pineapple upside down cake some time, I have lost my recipe which came printed on a carton of Express dairies buttermilk, but Emeril Lagasse has recipe that looks similar
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 17th, 2017, 7:42 pm

Don't forget to put glace cherries in the middle of the pineapple rings :tu:

I have, in the past, added decimated coconut to the cake mix, to give a really tropical slant.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 17th, 2017, 11:25 pm

Last time I made a pineapple upside down cake was at school! I remember it being very sweet and sickly - are they supposed to be like that?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 18th, 2017, 11:56 am

Well it's a dessert so fairly sweet t, but shouldn't be sickly
Just saw Tom Kerridge make one on TV, not sure I fancy his version, but agree that the trick is to use unsweetened pineapple, then you add a toffee layer and a fairly plain cake, so not sickly. I expect you used pineapple in syrup at school, that won't cut the toffee sauce
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 18th, 2017, 1:38 pm

I seem to remember laying the pineapple slices in a pool of golden syrup ????
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 18th, 2017, 2:00 pm

I used simply to butter the pan very thickly then add a layer of Demerara or light brown sugar and arrange the fruit on it, before adding the cake batter

But Emeril Lagasse actually makes a simple toffee sauce, rather as for Tatin, which I have done and it's better

However the advantage of his recipe might be that like my lost Express Dairies recipe it uses a buttermilk cake batter, not a Victoria sponge, which we thought gave a superior result

http://emerils.com/127163/pineapple-upside-down-cake
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Veggie Place