Vegetable roulade?

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Vegetable roulade?

Postby Monnikka » February 22nd, 2017, 2:40 pm

Yesterday OH took me to a local hostelry for lunch. We chose Red cabbage and apple roulade served with kale, thin beans, sliced mushrooms and mashed potatoes with veggie gravy. It was all very tasty and I would like to make the roulade some time Does anyone have a similar recipe? I'm pretty certain there was cheese in it somewhere. Thanks in hope.
Monnikka
Registered

Re: Vegetable roulade?

Postby StokeySue » February 22nd, 2017, 3:39 pm

I've never heard of red cabbage roulade (and Google only turns up non-veg versions) :?

I have made (and eaten other versions of) spinach roulade with a mushroom or lentil filling, similar to this recipe although I do add a couple of TBS of parmesan or veggie equivalent to the egg mixture to make it more savoury and less obviously eggy

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/5670/spinach-and-mushroom-roulade.aspx

I suppose you could sub an equivalent amount of another veg for the spinach, I'm not sure if I'm clear, what flavours were added ot the egg mix and which to the filling?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 22nd, 2017, 5:55 pm

I have a few Rose Elliot roulade recipes for roulades if that's any help? None of them include red cabbage but you could probably substitute. The ones I have include gruyere with red peppers, cheddar with herbs & mushrooms, gruyere with herbs and rocket, cashew nut with brocolli and spinach with cream cheese and peppers.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 22nd, 2017, 7:22 pm

When I was gainfully employed, a local catering co. used to serve up a carrot roulade sometimes, it was to die for... :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 22nd, 2017, 8:10 pm

Was the red cabbage in the roulade or the filling? Most roulades seem to use vegetables that can be grated finely or puréed (eg carrots), or are soft when cooked and chopped (eg spinach). Red cabbage doesn't seem to fit either of those categories, but I can't imagine it as a filling either.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Monnikka » February 23rd, 2017, 2:46 pm

I will try some of these suggestions. Thank you. I don't understand how that roulade was made. It was clearly rolled up and the colour was a dullish pink but there didn't appear to be a filling in the conventional way. I think chopped cooked cabbage was perhaps mixed with cheesy potato, maybe egg, and slathered over a baking sheet and baked until set before rolling with the aid of greaseproof.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby Catherine » February 23rd, 2017, 11:13 pm

Could you tell us the restaurant? perhaps then we could see if they have a website with their meu to get a idea. Also a long shot but you could try calling them and saying you would love to recreate the dish and could they possibly give you the recipe or broadly what they did. Might be worth a try
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 23rd, 2017, 11:31 pm

Monnikka wrote:I will try some of these suggestions. Thank you. I don't understand how that roulade was made. It was clearly rolled up and the colour was a dullish pink but there didn't appear to be a filling in the conventional way. I think chopped cooked cabbage was perhaps mixed with cheesy potato, maybe egg, and slathered over a baking sheet and baked until set before rolling with the aid of greaseproof.

You'd certainly need the egg to hold it together
You mentioned red cabbage and apple earlier, I am wondering if I put one of the portions of the stewed red cabbage and apple from the freezer, chopped it in the processor, added some mash, parmesan, egg yolk, folded in the whipped egg white and baked as for the spinach roulade I'd end up with something? Could be the ultimate leftovers dish...
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Monnikka » February 24th, 2017, 7:47 am

Catherine wrote:Could you tell us the restaurant? perhaps then we could see if they have a website with their meu to get a idea. Also a long shot but you could try calling them and saying you would love to recreate the dish and could they possibly give you the recipe or broadly what they did. Might be worth a try
Thanks for the suggestions Catherine. I had already decided to see if they have advertised their email.

StokeySue wrote:
Monnikka wrote:I will try some of these suggestions. Thank you. I don't understand how that roulade was made. It was clearly rolled up and the colour was a dullish pink but there didn't appear to be a filling in the conventional way. I think chopped cooked cabbage was perhaps mixed with cheesy potato, maybe egg, and slathered over a baking sheet and baked until set before rolling with the aid of greaseproof.

You'd certainly need the egg to hold it together
You mentioned red cabbage and apple earlier, I am wondering if I put one of the portions of the stewed red cabbage and apple from the freezer, chopped it in the processor, added some mash, parmesan, egg yolk, folded in the whipped egg white and baked as for the spinach roulade I'd end up with something? Could be the ultimate leftovers dish...
Sue, that is much as I would tackle it, with perhaps a sprinkle of grated or crumbled cheese after baking. (Stilton?) The mixture would need to be well seasoned. I dare you to give it a go! Meanwhile, I'll attempt to email them.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 24th, 2017, 10:05 am

Monnikka wrote:Sue, that is much as I would tackle it, with perhaps a sprinkle of grated or crumbled cheese after baking. (Stilton?) The mixture would need to be well seasoned. I dare you to give it a go! Meanwhile, I'll attempt to email them

I might have a go at it next week, I have 3 portions of rather nice red cabbage & apple in the freezer, but am too busy this weeekend
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Monnikka » February 25th, 2017, 2:55 pm

I have had a response back from the hotel. They don't have the recipe as the dish is sent in by suppliers. It's as I expected. The hotel is owned by Greene King based in Suffolk. I'll see if they advertise an email address.
Monnikka
Registered

Return to The Veggie Place