Black bean burgers?

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Black bean burgers?

Postby Hope » March 4th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Anyone got a T&T recipe for black bean burgers? Preferably spicy. FOund a few online, but not sure which to do!

I have never ever made a good veggie burger. I've made a few that are ok, but none worth repeating and I want that to change!
Hope
Registered

Re: Black bean burgers?

Postby Catherine » March 4th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Have you tried Jamie Oliver's recipe?
Catherine
Registered

Postby Hope » March 5th, 2017, 7:40 am

No. Have you? It's one of the ones I've looked at. But other than the chilli it didn't seem to have a lot of spice in it.
Hope
Registered

Postby smitch » March 5th, 2017, 10:42 am

I really like the black bean burgers from Isa Does It- think they're called island bean burgers or similar. I'm on my phone at the moment so it's hard to do links but the recipe is online. They're a combo of black beans and black eyed beans mixed with Caribbean curry powder.
smitch
Registered

Postby Hope » March 5th, 2017, 10:56 am

Found it, thanks Smitch http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipe ... sa-does-it

I've not seen that book before, I do have a few of her other ones.
Hope
Registered

Postby smitch » March 5th, 2017, 3:16 pm

I love the book, I make a fair bit from it. They're great week night recipes.

I used a mixture of hot and mild Jamaican curry powder and I did the salsa too which was lovely. Think mango salsa would be nice too.
smitch
Registered

Postby Luca » March 5th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Hmmm......... I've been 'advised' to eat black beans..... and am tempted so snagging.

I saw a rather tasty looking Mexican dish with it recently...Thomasina Mier black beans/cheese/salsa/avocado/cream.....

This also looks rather tasty but maybe Clive can better it!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lime_ ... lack_35645
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Hope » March 5th, 2017, 7:31 pm

That looks nice too. Everyone's doing really well with suggestions today and I want to try all of them.

Luca, what are the benefits of black beans then? I know they are nutritious, but don't know specifics!
Hope
Registered

Postby Luca » March 5th, 2017, 7:42 pm

My diet has for a while been lacking in lots of things (mostly quantity of food to be honest - I do eat a varied diet but little!) and as part of my personal 2017 challenge I've been advised to eat more.... to include protein and essentially selenium. Black beans were advised as a tasty source... I'm looking forward to getting to know them more as usually have only encountered them when at Chinese restaurants as part of a sharing dish.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby karadekoolaid » March 5th, 2017, 10:38 pm

This also looks rather tasty but maybe Clive can better it!

Looks pretty amazing to me! That`s more or less along the lines of what we had for lunch yesterday, except I added crispy bacon to the beans (which were cooked from scratch), then blended them. The Mexicans cook lots of things with lard, so I wasn`t far off.
Black beans are wonderful. You might like to try " Empanadas Dominó" - deep-fried pastry turnovers filled with black beans and grated white cheese. Or black bean soup - glorious with a squeeze of lime, olive oil and a few chopped green chiles.
In the Venezuelan Andes, a tsp of sugar is always added to black beans when cooking, and a slurp of olive oil to finish.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 6th, 2017, 12:07 am

Luca wrote: I'm looking forward to getting to know them more as usually have only encountered them when at Chinese restaurants as part of a sharing dish.

Err two kinds of black beans
The Chinese ones are soy beans salted and fermented in such a way as to turn them black, you add a couple of TBS to a dish to add umami and depth of favour

The ones you make burgers from are a kind of kidney bean also known as turtle beans
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Hope » March 6th, 2017, 7:50 am

I didn't realise chinese black beans were different.
Hope
Registered

Postby scullion » March 6th, 2017, 12:00 pm

very.
much as i like them i definitely wouldn't want a burger made of just the chinese type ones, and they're far too salty tasting for that, too.
scullion
Registered

Return to The Veggie Place