Dragon Egg Potatoes

For those time when the Vegetarians and Vegans want to get away from the more carnivorous types.

Dragon Egg Potatoes

Postby Zosherooney » May 15th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Just bought a pack of these from Lidls. They have very black skins and do look a lot like eggs ! Has anyone any experience of them??? Recipes? Put them in a hatchery ? Grow my own pet dragons ???

Small writing just discovered says Purple Majesty.... from the UK :tu: :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Dragon Egg Potatoes

Postby suffolk » May 15th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Grow your own Zosh :D http://www.simplyseed.co.uk/albert-bart ... htmlPotter

I saw some in Sainsbugs the other day ... they weren't called Dragons Eggs, but then Marketing Departments will always be thinking of something new .. hitching it onto Harry Potter I suppose ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » June 23rd, 2017, 11:58 pm

How delightful! The most probable origin is Peru. Whilst no-one has ever definitively stated where the first potatoes came from, Peru/Bolivia is a highly likely source, since human remains from over 10,000 years ago have included potatoes.
Currently, Peru boasts over 3,800 varieties of potato :shock: The most popular are these:
http://www.limaeasy.com/peruvian-food-g ... l-potatoes
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby MariaKK » June 24th, 2017, 3:59 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:How delightful! The most probable origin is Peru. Whilst no-one has ever definitively stated where the first potatoes came from, Peru/Bolivia is a highly likely source, since human remains from over 10,000 years ago have included potatoes.
Currently, Peru boasts over 3,800 varieties of potato :shock: The most popular are these:
http://www.limaeasy.com/peruvian-food-g ... l-potatoes

Y Chiloé qué?

I know they only had a measly one thousand varieties before the Spaniards arrived, now reduced to 300 odd, but apparently most of the European spuds originally came from the island of Chiloé and the little islands in the Gulf of Ancud.
MariaKK
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 24th, 2017, 4:22 pm

These were called purple somethings.... can't remember but Mr. Z did not like them at all, I have to finish them :?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 25th, 2017, 12:53 pm

We grew them once from some sprouting ones we were given they weren't nice but they made interesting crisps!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 25th, 2017, 1:15 pm

That's a great idea Rats, I have 2 left and a frying pan with oil in it at present, so might have a go later on. You have just reminded me that last September whilst in Majorca we went to a big market and there was a stall making and selling freshly done crisps, they were wonderful but had to be eaten within 12 hours ! It was not difficult to achieve !!!!! :tu: :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » June 26th, 2017, 1:30 am

Ni idea, MariaKK!
Not an expert in potato history!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 26th, 2017, 8:29 am

In Peru they are very keen to tell you (at any meal or even in between) that potatoes are definitely Peruvian! The guide book I took to Peru, and Wiki, concur

Wiki wrote:Wild potato species can be found throughout the Americas from the United States to southern Chile.[4] The potato was originally believed to have been domesticated independently in multiple locations,[5] but later genetic testing of the wide variety of cultivars and wild species proved a single origin for potatoes in the area of present-day southern Peru and extreme northwestern Bolivia (from a species in the Solanum brevicaule complex), where they were domesticated approximately 7,000–10,000 years ago.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Veggie Place