Raw apple cider vinegar

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Raw apple cider vinegar

Postby Pepper Pig » September 21st, 2019, 5:17 am

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/s ... hy-vinegar

I'd have a go if I hadn't been such a good little housewife and already dealt with my windfall apples. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Raw apple cider vinegar

Postby earthmaiden » September 21st, 2019, 7:20 am

One of the most healthy and vivacious people I knew took a spoonful of cider vinegar every morning and I have read more and more about it being a magic food lately. When I bought a bottle recently for a recipe, I then found 3 more bottles languishing in the cupboard. I am going to start taking a spoonful every day - watch this space! If I become healthy and vivacious I shall need this recipe :). (otherwise I prefer stewed apple)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » September 21st, 2019, 9:43 am

earthmaiden wrote:One of the most healthy and vivacious people I knew took a spoonful of cider vinegar every morning and I have read more and more about it being a magic food lately. When I bought a bottle recently for a recipe, I then found 3 more bottles languishing in the cupboard. I am going to start taking a spoonful every day - watch this space! If I become healthy and vivacious I shall need this recipe :). (otherwise I prefer stewed apple)

EM, by a "spoonful" - any idea what size spoon?
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 21st, 2019, 10:09 am

I believe a dessert or tablespoon. I know it was more than a teaspoon. I think it is better to put it into warm water.

I have just 'googled' and there is quite a lot about it. This piece gives a lot of warnings which are probably worth considering before reading/seeking proper advice, especially if you suffer from any if the conditions mentioned! https://www.livestrong.com/article/4948 ... r-per-day/
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » September 21st, 2019, 11:12 am

Thanks EM, it's my OH, who was diagnosed pre-diabetic and had previously found the vinegar really helped his knees. But he has needed to be a bit careful with it and we were talking about how much he should still take. I think he was definitely taking too much before.
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 21st, 2019, 11:54 am

earthmaiden wrote:I have read more and more about it being a magic food lately.

Repeat after me
There are no superfoods, other than breast milk
There is no magic food at all :)

All vinegars, spirit to raw cider, are 4 - 8% acetic acid in water and very little else to do you either good or harm; there are trace amounts of many substances but it’s not clear what effect they have on the body, though there’s some evidence the vinegar can alter the rise in blood sugar that follows a meal. I suppose it is possible that raw cider vinegar containing traces
of the vinegar mother might boost the microbiome (friendly :wave: bacteria) but there are plenty of more pleasant ways to do this. Not good for the tooth enamel I would guess?

The academic literature review article https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1785201/ cited in the dosage link concludes “But whether vinegar is a useful adjunct therapy for individuals with diabetes or prediabetes has yet to be determined.”

Having said which, if anyone gives me any windfalls, I’ll have a go, just for fun and flavour. :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 21st, 2019, 12:42 pm

StokeySue wrote:Repeat after me
There are no superfoods, other than breast milk
There is no magic food at all :)
:D

I know, I know ... but I've got 3 bottles to use up :lol:. I must say, that I the person I knew who took it best in the early '80's, she is now in her 80's and looks amazing! Couldn't possibly comment on whether the vinegar has anything to do with it!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 21st, 2019, 1:06 pm

Thank you, Sue for your uaual dose of common sense backed by proper research. Not that I can get windfall apples anyway.

moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 21st, 2019, 1:27 pm

em perhaps you could make some herb jellies with apples and your cider vinegar?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 21st, 2019, 3:36 pm

The reason I wanted it recently was that it was an ingredient in the veg salad I made for our Polish evening. Given that the veg was of the year round sort and very tasty I might make it regularly through the winter. I have never made or eaten herb jelly - what do you do with it/eat it with?

Going back to the OP, does anyone here make their own vinegar?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 22nd, 2019, 4:01 pm

You serve it as an accompaniment. So eg mint jelly with lamb, tarragon jelly with chicken.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 22nd, 2019, 5:38 pm

Oh how silly of me - of course! I've never made any though, maybe I will.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 28th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Homemade apple and mint jelly is so much better with lamb than any bought stuff :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 28th, 2019, 7:02 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Going back to the OP, does anyone here make their own vinegar?

Although she doesn't post much on here anymore, Hope makes what is called Apple Scrap Vinegar and plenty of other 'fermenters' do this too.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 29th, 2019, 6:36 am

Think Scully makes her own vinegar ... she once gave me a vinegar ‘mother’ but I wasn’t able to keep it alive ☹️
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 29th, 2019, 7:52 am

I’ve not made it, but I’m not a great user of vinegar
Ma cousine in France had a special ceramic vinegar pot and used to feed it with odds and ends of wine, the end result was fine but I didn’t specially notice. IanInFrance did it too
Like this
https://www.vigopresses.co.uk/catalogue/content.aspx?mobile=true&node_id=eb7ace8e-31d2-4fbe-a466-a8a100d6ac56
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 29th, 2019, 9:52 am

I have a couple of stone vinegar jars too. One for white and one for red. I can't count the number of bits of mere I have given away. Mine came from a Belgian friend
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » September 29th, 2019, 9:59 am

yes, i still do, ian sent me some of his red wine mother a few years back. do you want some of it?
i do red and white but the white is having a bit of a hissy fit at the moment (i think i left it too long before refreshing).
scullion
Registered

Return to The Kitchen